Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: BCS Rankings.

[ QUOTE ]
A > C B > A does not mean B > C in college football. Real sports don't work like that AT all and I don't know why you keep bringing it up. There are WAY too many factors as others have pointed out including injuries, home/away, maturation of freshman, new players, etc. There is no logic in football to who wins. You put Arkansas and USC on a neutral field right now, I'm not sure if USC wins. Arkansas has improved tremendously since game 1 as proved by the Auburn game. In the first game, Mustain came off the bench and didn't play much. There starting QB was pretty awful. Mustain hasn't been that great in any game this year esoecially the ones that matter but he hasn't lost games either although he tried to against Alabama over and over. Key difference now is there rushing game is that good.

It's hard to judge Cal based on their first game as well. Tennessee does deserve to be higher based on that win. But if they met right now on a neutral field I'm betting the game would be a lot closer than the first. It was longshore's first game back from injury. It was his first real game and he prettty much bombed although the Tennessee team looked tremendous that day especially Meachem who killed the Cal secondary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all of this is irrelevant IMO. If you don't consider the results of games, then there is no point in playing them. Just look at who you think is better on papper and crown them champion.

Yes, things could have gone differently in the USC Arkansas game, but they didn't. The fact is that USC won that game, and that has to be worth something even if the entire Arkansas team was injured that week. (Being able stay healthy, and overcome injuries is a part of the game. This is why I don't like using injuries as an excuse to ignore the results of a game.)

As for A>B>C>A circles. It may be possible to have a situation such that A would beat B 90% of the time, B would beat C 90% of the time, and C would beat A 90% of the time. However, there is NO ranking system that can correct for this. It is a mathematical fact that one of these teams will be ranked last, and one of these teams will be ranked first.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, Tennessee stomps Cal and Cal is still ranked higher...BCS is a worthless piece of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

The computers see that Cal has beaten 4 teams in the BCS top 50, including 2 in the top 30. In the meantime, Tenn beats two teams not even in the top 100 (Marshall and Memphis). Don't worry, Tenn's schedule gets much tougher and should surpass Cal if they both win out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's going to play out. UT has like 6 SEC games left still.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM

So don't use your silly little A>B>C bs. It's crap. Just watch the games, see how everyone's playing and you'll know who the best teams are. Right now OSU has basic claim on the #1 spot. USC and Michigan I think are the only teams with a claim to the #2 spot. Then you have a couple of other unbeatens. When it comes to Cal and Tennessee. I'm going to give Tennessee a slight edge. I think Cal would probally win right now if they had a home game versus Tennesee. They are playing very well. Tennessee is playing very well as well. Cal just seems to be on point right now.

I've watched pieces of the last couple of USC games and I haven't been impressed. They've barely won repeatedly while Michigan has looked strong in all but the 4th quarter of the PSU game in Happy Valley.

They've beaten ND (who I think is overrated) and they've stomped pretty much everyone else on their schedule. I guess the Big 10 is just top heavy this year but they've looked strong in every game.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:35 PM

jstnrgrs-
True or False: Southern Illinois should be ranked higher than Iowa.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, Tennessee stomps Cal and Cal is still ranked higher...BCS is a worthless piece of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv,
Cal<Tennessee<Florida<Auburn<Arkansas, so Arkansas should be #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

The transitive stuff gets absurd, of course, but are you actually disagreeing with his sentiment in this case? Because that's just absurd. Although, to be fair, the polls do this crap all the time. When you lose, not who you lose to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't even looked at the results, so I am not disagreeing with his sentament.

I actually like the transitive philosophy for rankings (I am not saying that Ark should be ranked ahead of the others). See beatpaths.com for a good treatment of this idea from an NFL perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. That would be a nightmare in D-IA though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually sounds similar to the Colley Matrix Method, which is one of the computer polls used in the BCS.

The nice thing about the ranking is that it is completely unbiased as to preseason rankings. It only looks at who each team has beaten. You can even also how a team's ranking changes each week by clicking on the team in the main ranking listing.

The reason Cal is ahead of Tenn in that ranking is simple: the teams they've beaten are better than the teams Tenn has beaten.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you honestly have a case of blind homeritis? You say USC should have won but Cal shouldn't when they got a similar situation in which they failed. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I am being extremely nitpicky, but whatever. If Cal had blocked that extra point 3 yrs ago you might have a point. But the kicker shanked, through no doing of Cal. But the next year it is definitely up in the air. Did Cal fail in 4 tries after getting 1st and goal b/c they screwed up? Everyone at Cal is going to claim this, but on every one of those plays the coverage was awesome. Everyone at SC (including me) thinks it was the D. Can you see the subtle difference?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that beatpaths site is really bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good site, but it doesn't hold a lot of value early on. What happens is you get a lot of the divisional rivalries that split, so once the second games of those are played you end up getting a fairer picture. Once week 10 rolls around it's a pretty good picture, better than just about any subjective ranking and up there with DVOA, etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jstnrgrs-

[/ QUOTE ]

False because:
Iowa>
Montana>
Sacremento State>
Eastern Wash>
Montana State>
Colorado>
Texas Tech>
Texas A&M>
Missouri>
Mississippi>
Vanderbilt>
Georgia>
South Carolina>
Kentucky>
Central Mischigan>
Akron>
Nc state>
Boston College>
BYU>
TCU>
Baylor>
Kansas State>
Illinois State>
Southern Ill>
Indiana>
Iowa

As soon as I found a loop, I stoped looking, so there may be a smaller loop that would be better. If no such loop existed, I would have been willing to answer true to your question. And having looked at the results of several games in finding this data, I would venture to guess that Southern Ill. is very much under-rated.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jstnrgrs-

[/ QUOTE ]

False because:
Iowa>
Montana>
Sacremento State>
Eastern Wash>
Montana State>
Colorado>
Texas Tech>
Texas A&M>
Missouri>
Mississippi>
Vanderbilt>
Georgia>
South Carolina>
Kentucky>
Central Mischigan>
Akron>
Nc state>
Boston College>
BYU>
TCU>
Baylor>
Kansas State>
Illinois State>
Southern Ill>
Indiana>
Iowa

As soon as I found a loop, I stoped looking, so there may be a smaller loop that would be better. If no such loop existed, I would have been willing to answer true to your question. And having looked at the results of several games in finding this data, I would venture to guess that Southern Ill. is very much under-rated.

[/ QUOTE ]
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahah ahahhahahaahhahahahahahahhahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahah
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 AM

Wow. That's rediculously retarded.

Does this work in the NFL too?

SF > Rams > Denver ?

This is just about the dumbest way to EVER gage sports.