Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Children of Men

[ QUOTE ]
this is the review i did for my old film society. bear in mind the reviews are all spun to make people come and watch it.

My own personal opinion was meh, decent sci fi, plenty to debate, but not "outstanding" or even one of the few best films of the year (Stranger than Fiction is better. Hell, i even saw Snakes on a Plane twice, so that kind of trumps it).

-------------REVIEW--------------------

Adapted from a PD James short story, Children of Men is set in 2027; since 2009 infertility has ravaged the globe, leaving a declining and depressed population behind. Theo (Clive Owen), an activist now turned alcoholic government worker, is contacted by his former partner Julianne (Moore) regarding the safe passage of a pregnant immigrant called "Kee" out of the UK - immigrants having been banned by the neo-orwellian government. Unsurprisingly, the passage is not all that safe, as both police and militant groups hunt the pair. The end goal is delivering Kee (via the sprawling immigrant camps on the south coast) to "The Human Project", allegedly a group with the facilities to explore and effect changes in the 0% fertility rate (although Theo - and many others - think the Project is a myth).

The film does an excellent job of showing what a country under such pressures would look like - from the propaganda regarding fertility testing, immigrants and suspicious activity to the policies of such an oppressive government - a government which hands out anti-depressants and voluntary euthanasia kits in its rations to citizens, whilst forcing them to carry ID cards, transit papers and so on. The film's pace is excellent and is a boon to modern sci-fi - although you can see the film draws heavily on Orwell (the pub scene especially). Director Alfonso Cuarón (Y Tu Mamá También, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) also has screenwriting credit, and his influence and talent enriches this film.

Whilst the idea of global infertility is far-fetched, the metaphor evident in the film - regarding the need to reform/reinforce connections with kin even in times where the usual family system is breaking down - is one most people should get behind. This film is definitely worth a watch - both in terms of its visual quality, plus the debates it will no doubt generate on your walk home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that the director also directed Y Tu Mama Tambien. Very different kinds of films, I really liked Y Tu Mama Tambien.

Also, to the douche who told me to go watch Freddy Got Fingered. Freddy Got Fingered is a funny movie. DUCY? I'm sorry for not thinking this movie is some life changing best movie ever, though as you can clearly see I'm not the only one.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spoiler

The one part that annoyed me was when the soldiers let them pass with the baby. I don't believe for a second that not one would say "hey, uh, shouldn't we take that back to the base?" It's the sort of lame thing that would only happen in a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, I think there could've been many better ways for them to escape, even if it was just running around a corner and evading the army via violence or something. The idea that we're supposed to go along with an entire army unit turning their eye back to fighting some pussy ass rebel group while a BABY (the first one born in 20+ years BTW) and a FERTILE WOMAN, leave the scene. Not only would they want to bring this girl to the government, but they would also just fear for her life in this city right now.

P.S. Clive Owen can't dodge bullets, baby.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:43 PM

I saw this movie last night. I thought it was average, don't really think it lived up to the hype IMO.

spoiler:

<font color="white"> The ending was good, though I agree that theres no way that the soldiers would let them through.</font>
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Wow Will we seem to have similar tastes, but I hated the film...thought it was sloppy, disjointed, and nonsensical.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Will,

Thanks for your response. It was a great chase movie. But the fact that it is at heart a chase movie kinda gives it a ceiling of greatness, so to speak. So i really agree with Charlie's response that came right after your post.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Will we seem to have similar tastes, but I hated the film...thought it was sloppy, disjointed, and nonsensical.

[/ QUOTE ]'

Yeah, wow. I agree that we have similar tastes, and it blows my mind that you don't like it.

C'est la vie.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:15 PM

yellowdoyle-

clearly more than a chase movie. Apocalypto = chase movie. COM = more.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my summary of the movie:

owen: lol julian u r teh hawt
julian: thxu
owen: no rly, can we plz have some sex
julian: maybe l8r, i need u 2 deliver this girl across country
terrorists: LOL POZZED julian down
owen: (to girl) i see ur pregnant, this development has exciting implications
owen: we need 2 leave these ppl are crazy
owen: lol lets just put a big coat on u no1 will notice ur preggo
girl: i cant [censored] do it
owen: lol u can do it bro
girl: I CANT [censored] DO IT
owen: wtf yes u can
girl: loltrickedu
army: lol we r pozzing the terrorists
head terrorist: wow we r [censored]
baby: WAHHHHHHHHHHHH
entire movie cast: yo wtf baby?
entire movie cast: YO, WTF, BABY!
army: u may pass.
owen: lol i am tired from rowing this boat.
owen: ps i got shot im dying
girl: hey im going to name the baby after ur son.
owen: ty, but ttyl, its been really real
girl: heh how am i going 2 row the boat

[/ QUOTE ]

This is amazing. Please post more of your movie summaries.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:36 PM

i thought the soldier's hesitation to do anything was understandable. would you want to be the one to [censored] up the first birth in 18 years?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 PM

Im confused - has this only just come out in the US?

And yes, it was one of the best movies of 2006.

Lol @ whoever said this was a chase movie.