Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 02:32 AM

Default Re: OOT Tell me about Austin, TX

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

god i hate sxsw. it's the invasion of crappy bands and hipsters. you can't hardly go anywhere because you just can't get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it really sucks having a ton of hip young people in town to see some of the best up & coming bands on the planet in small packed clubs full of energy all for one cheap weekly pass. Almost as bad as being an adult in the 60's. Stop all this nonsense, I need to get to work, then get home and sit in silence with my family!!

[/ QUOTE ]

if you call standing around trying to look cool "full of energy" then ok. seriously, what you describe has not been my experience at all and i'm always trying to have a good time.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 AM

AUSTIN SUCKS BALLS, GO WACO!!

yeah good joke i know :-p

honestly i went to visit a friend in Austin, city life is pretty good up there, but it can get lonely if you don't have any friends i'm sure.

and tons of dragrats
Old 11-02-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

god i hate sxsw. it's the invasion of crappy bands and hipsters. you can't hardly go anywhere because you just can't get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it really sucks having a ton of hip young people in town to see some of the best up & coming bands on the planet in small packed clubs full of energy all for one cheap weekly pass. Almost as bad as being an adult in the 60's. Stop all this nonsense, I need to get to work, then get home and sit in silence with my family!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is that we have hip young people and great live music here all the time. SXSW is the one week you have to fight through a mob to enjoy it.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sxsw has completely blown up and it's lost it's appeal for me and a lot of austin. 10 years ago it was great and manageable. now it costs waaaay too much, it's way too crowded so any decent show you have to get there very early to get in line which defeats the point of the sxsw setup by going from show to show. and local favorite acts are sold out and may cost $25 to get in to see when on any other weekend it's only $5.

it's one of those things where downtown is now completely overtaken w/ out-of-towners and record execs for the week and a lot of the austin music fans flee the area until it returns to normal.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sxsw has completely blown up and it's lost it's appeal for me and a lot of austin. 10 years ago it was great and manageable. now it costs waaaay too much, it's way too crowded so any decent show you have to get there very early to get in line which defeats the point of the sxsw setup by going from show to show. and local favorite acts are sold out and may cost $25 to get in to see when on any other weekend it's only $5.

it's one of those things where downtown is now completely overtaken w/ out-of-towners and record execs for the week and a lot of the austin music fans flee the area until it returns to normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard a lot of people say ACL was better a while back. I went to a lot of the film stuff this year. Not crowded and not expensive.

ACL Festival is a much better option for music, in my opinion. I got my 3 day pass for $35 this year. Even if you pay the higher price and get it for like $100 it's still a way better deal than SXSW.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 PM

Well I lived in Austin from like 10-5 years ago, so I bet it's worse now. I like Austin music but imho too much of it is country/cajun/blues/jam/reggae , not a lot of actual modern good music like you get in NY/SF/Chicago/etc.

Anyway, minor issue, Austin rules.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:08 AM

I have lived in Austin for the past 5 years since moving from Houston. I consider it my home. Austin has more pros than cons living here. Simple as that. Weather 8 out of 12 months is perfect. No state income tax always a plus. I personally dig the geography of the whole city. The music venues here is huge. Best place in Texas.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:22 PM

There are too many people here, I almost run over someone everyday while driving around the campus. It doesn't really get better at night either
Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 AM

I had to bump this thread to post this video.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 AM

how did i miss this thread the first time? austin is my favorite city on earth right now* and if i wasn't obligated to things in houston i would be living there.

*i am not particularly well travelled