Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: stay at home mom - a $134k job

[ QUOTE ]
This is bizarre.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only to someone who can't address the issue at hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, a relationship is not unilateral. If you want one that's lasting, you will probably have to get married. Most women will not tolerate less.

[/ QUOTE ]
Without a reason for a lasting relationship (children) who cares?

[ QUOTE ]
I see drug addiction, alcoholism, violence, and the usual bad behaviors that men often drift into when alone too long. There's a reason married people live longer. A lot of men would tear themselves apart if not sooner or later with someone else who gave a damn about them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Strawman

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, you're deeply into the level of trolling, so I'm going to skip the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]
You obviously have no clue what a troll is, but by accusing me of it, admit failure.

Note date and time: RoundGuy pwns Blarg.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:42 AM

I can't wait to get married and have kids!

Well, for like another ten years...

Honestly, the guy who says he adores his wife then says "who cares about the ho?" makes no sense. The only redeeming quality is when he states that he shares a bond with his wife that childless people can't have.

In that case though, what makes her different from anyone else with a vagina?

Having children is a big [censored] deal, imo, and I would NEVER want to do that with anyone other than the woman that I truly adored.

Round, you say that what's the point in being married if you don't have kids, but I'd say what's the point in having kids if you're not married? Marriage, to me, is an incredibly deep spiritual bond. And sometimes people that close feel they can bring a kid into the world and show him or her what it means to be a loving, compassionate person.

It seems pretty foolish to begin truly loving a woman just because she has your kid.

I love being single right now. I do hope I manage to find a wonderful woman and be married within a decade or so. But I'm also definitely going to hold off on children for at least 5 years, so that I can spoil her like crazy and treat her like what she would truly be - the most important thing in my life. While children are certainly fulfilling, their helpless nature means you have to do several things for them, rather than just wanting to.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, a relationship is not unilateral. If you want one that's lasting, you will probably have to get married. Most women will not tolerate less.

[/ QUOTE ]
Without a reason for a lasting relationship (children) who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it really is confusing. Rewind your life 22 years, and instead of knocking up your wife you knock up a hooker instead. How is your life different?

Most of us see the above scenario as a complete disaster, but based on your statements I can only conclude you wouldn't feel there's a difference. So can you understand why we don't exactly get it?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, the guy who says he adores his wife then says "who cares about the ho?" makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife isn't a ho, she's the mother of my children.

[ QUOTE ]
The only redeeming quality is when he states that he shares a bond with his wife that childless people can't have.

[/ QUOTE ]
The bond between my wife and I.

[ QUOTE ]
In that case though, what makes her different from anyone else with a vagina?

[/ QUOTE ]
My child came out of that vagina.

[ QUOTE ]
Round, you say that what's the point in being married if you don't have kids, but I'd say what's the point in having kids if you're not married?

[/ QUOTE ]
A=B, B=A We agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Marriage, to me, is an incredibly deep spiritual bond.

[/ QUOTE ]
That grows ever deeper with children.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems pretty foolish to begin truly loving a woman just because she has your kid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Children is not where the love begins, it's where it grows.

[ QUOTE ]
I love being single right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are clueless as to this issue.

[ QUOTE ]
I do hope I manage to find a wonderful woman and be married within a decade or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
If she tells you she doesn't want children, why would you marry her?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rewind your life 22 years, and instead of knocking up your wife you knock up a hooker instead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't happen, wouldn't happen. Non-germane to this discussion.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:47 AM

You can hire a "stay at home mom" for less than $70k/year.

I think about this and wonder why I even bother with the obvious illogical nonsense that comes along with dating women.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most teachers don't get 50k+

[/ QUOTE ]

Most teachers make a lot more than you think, especially if they have any years in and a master's degree. They idea that teachers are poor and underpaid is pretty much a myth spread by teacher's unions. Average nationwide salary for teachers in 2005 was $47K+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't that number confirm his statement?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rewind your life 22 years, and instead of knocking up your wife you knock up a hooker instead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't happen, wouldn't happen. Non-germane to this discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, now you're just being convenient.

You've told us that the only reason for marriage is to have children. So what makes your wife different from any other woman on the planet that could have born your child?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:44 AM

This thread is a goddamn clinic. Nh Blarg. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is ridiculous. Who the [censored] cares about assigning monetary value to the job of being a stay-at-home parent? This is going to have a different and incalculable value for everybody, depending on lots of subjective social factors. At the same time, though, many of y'all are justifying the study's author's naked and unnecessary attempt to assign value to parenthood by demonstrating that you've got zero respect for the skills and work it takes to raise a well-adjusted child.

In sum:

Study: Dumb
People who think stay-at-home parents are worthless: Dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is saying stay-at-home parents are worthless, but simply responding to the study that tried to assign a monetary value to the stay-at-home mom.

I AGREE that it's silly to try to monetize the value of a stay-at-home mom... but if they want to play that game, then $134K is silly, based on how much it would cost to hire out the same services.

As I said earlier, you could hire two full time people to perform all the duties of a stay-at-home mom for $60-80K... from a strictly monetary analysis. The benefits of having a child's mother at home with the child can't really be quantified, as you said.