Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   stay at home mom - a $134k job (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393664)

econophile 05-02-2007 11:34 AM

stay at home mom - a $134k job

A study by Salay.com about what stay at home moms are worth has been getting some press today. They estimate that it would cost $134k per year to hire someone to be a stay at home mom. You can read the full story here (link). A lot of the assumptions and methods are pretty bad, but the study is probably just done for publicity.

edit: that link describes last year's estimate. this year's estimate is $138k.

Lazy Meatball 05-02-2007 11:41 AM

Re: stay at home mom - a $134k job

Maybe I should compute the salary it would cost to find someone to feed and bathe me and present myself with a certificate saying that I'm worth that much.

NicksDad1970 05-02-2007 11:42 AM

I guess I'm worse off than I thought I was

splashpot 05-02-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should compute the salary it would cost to find someone to feed and bathe me and present myself with a certificate saying that I'm worth that much.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if you're not working because you have to bathe yourself.

econophile 05-02-2007 11:45 AM

LM,

yes, some of the tasks used to calculate the moms' salaries (doing laundry, washing dishes, etc.) are things that i have to do and have some market value.

DcifrThs 05-02-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A study by Salay.com about what stay at home moms are worth has been getting some press today. They estimate that it would cost $134k per year to hire someone to be a stay at home mom. You can read the full story here (link). A lot of the assumptions and methods are pretty bad, but the study is probably just done for publicity.

[/ QUOTE ]

tons of stuff on this topic... how much is "stay at home mom" worth in terms of GDP etc. last weeks economist had an article about the affects of the differences between male & female employment. they found a counter-intuitive result where the countries surveyed whose male - female unemployment rate is highest (fewest females relative to males employed) had lower rates of fertility:

"Where the gap between male & female employment rates is small, women tend to have more babies. the reason seems to be that in countries where taxes on second earners are high or affordable child care is hard to find, women must often choose between children and work, especially if their incomes are low. Where second earners are not penalised by taxes or where child care is cheap or subsidised, they can have both."

interesting thoughts on the subject.

$134k seems a bit high, if i were to ball park guess id say it's the same as a live in nanny...that'd probably run ya 50-75k.

i guess one way to think about it is if you were a women (bear with me here), how much would you have to be paid to do that job...or, how much would you pay to NOT have to do that job??

Barron

AmadisSB 05-02-2007 12:01 PM

do you think they factored in the cost of getting a hooker every night as well?

einbert 05-02-2007 12:05 PM

This study was probably done by women, and should therefore be disregarded completely due to their lack of analytical, logical, and mathematical reasoning ability.

They are pretty to look at and fun to have sex with, though.

lefunque 05-02-2007 12:13 PM

Also would not be surprised to see that Divorced Women of America or some such female divorcee support group contributes to this website. Not saying they don't deserve their settlements, but this can only increase their values.

By-Tor 05-02-2007 12:14 PM

sounds a little low, but not far off. in the bay area, i would put it closer to $200k