Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: *** Official St Louis Cardinals to the 2006 World Series Thread **

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I was worried about was the Cardinals playing the worst baseball they had played all year in the NLCS which is exactly what happened. The astros didn't win anything the cardinals just lost.

edit: I'm also not really sure why we are discussing the Astros as a threat for the NL central title. The Brewers and Cubs are the only teams that can really be considered threats and I'm using that word very very loosely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you got your asses dominated in the NLCS and yet you still have excuses.

Also the Cubs? You instantly discredited yourself there pal. They have one decent starter. The rest of their staff is trash. Prior and Wood will spend most of the season on the DL just like they always do.

So you put all three teams ahead of the national league champions? Better come up for some air dude. You have your head stuck in the sand.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Underrated? The guy went almost 2 years without a sacrafice fly, and almost all of his RBI come from homeruns most of which were solo shots. He has no concept of when to move a runner over, go the other way, just hit a flyball, etc. and he strikes out in key situations all the time. I used to live in Reds country, and most the Reds fans I knew even hated this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why Dunn is underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that meant to say that I am wrong in my assessment of Mr. Dunn? Care to expand?

B.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you got your asses dominated in the NLCS and yet you still have excuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't an excuse. I acknowledge the fact that the astros played better than the cardinals in the NLCS which is why they won. The fact still remains that the cardinals did not play anywhere near their potential in the playoffs. The 162 game season is where you really see who the better team is and the cardinals won the division by eleven games. They were far and away the better team last year and they are the better team again this year.

[ QUOTE ]
So you put all three teams ahead of the national league champions?

[/ QUOTE ]

You also keep on throwing this "national champions" phrase around like it is any indication of who the best national league team is . Baseball is a very high variance game and the fact that the astros won a few games in october says nothing about who the better team is.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:03 PM

You can't really believe the crap you're spouting can you? As long as you make the playoffs, the regular season means very little. It's how you do in the important games that determines the better team. I think you had better take another look at just what kind of winning percentage the Astros played at during the later half of the season. The Astros were 15-30 at one point, yet they still made the playoffs. That's historic.

I had no problem saying the Cardinals were the better team in 2004, and it's ludicrous for you to say the Astros weren't the better team last year. The Stros dominated Atlanta, dominated the Cardinals, and while it's true they were swept in the world series, it was much much closer than when the Cards got swept by the Red Sox. A couple of breaks not going the white sox's way (example:Jermaine Lie's phantom HBP) and it's a completely different result.

Not only were the Astros the better team last year, but your Cardinals are significantly weaker this year, and it's not likely Carpenter will be as dominant as he was last year. Check his past performance, last year was an aberation, not the norm.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The regular season means very little. It's how you do in the important games that determines the better team

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the single stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. Yeah, if the 82-78 Padres had gone on a tear and won the World Series then they were cleary the best team in baseball in 2005. Give me a break.

[ QUOTE ]
. A couple of breaks not going the white sox's way (example:Jermaine Lie's phantom HBP) and it's a completely different result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now look who's making excuses....
Old 03-31-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't really believe the crap you're spouting can you? As long as you make the playoffs, the regular season means very little. It's how you do in the important games that determines the better team. I think you had better take another look at just what kind of winning percentage the Astros played at during the later half of the season. The Astros were 15-30 at one point, yet they still made the playoffs. That's historic.

I had no problem saying the Cardinals were the better team in 2004, and it's ludicrous for you to say the Astros weren't the better team last year. The Stros dominated Atlanta, dominated the Cardinals, and while it's true they were swept in the world series, it was much much closer than when the Cards got swept by the Red Sox. A couple of breaks not going the white sox's way (example:Jermaine Lie's phantom HBP) and it's a completely different result.

Not only were the Astros the better team last year, but your Cardinals are significantly weaker this year, and it's not likely Carpenter will be as dominant as he was last year. Check his past performance, last year was an aberation, not the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really impossible to ever say who the "better team" is when comparing 2 very good teams. There are lots of breaks in a series that go one way or another, injuries, etc. It's more who is playing better at the time and healthier than who the "better team" is.

As far as Carpenter goes -- he has been getting steadily better throughout his career, especially since arm surgery, so I don't think that there is any reason to believe that he will fall off dramtically this year.

B.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not only were the Astros the better team last year, but your Cardinals are significantly weaker this year

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to make a direct comparison of the two teams we can just look at both teams starting lineups and pitching rotations. Of the eight astros starters only two would have starting jobs on the cardinals (Biggio and Berkman). That's assuming Berkman would be playing in the outfield. Of your five strating pitchers only two would make the cardinals starting rotation (Oswalt and Pettitte).
Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Stros dominated Atlanta, dominated the Cardinals

[/ QUOTE ]

dominated???

speaking of breaks...I'm still trying to see that tag on Molina in game 6

[ QUOTE ]

it's not likely Carpenter will be as dominant as he was last year. Check his past performance, last year was an aberation, not the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong

How's Lidge's neck doing anyway? It's tough to recover from that.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ut your Cardinals are significantly weaker this year, and it's not likely Carpenter will be as dominant as he was last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that you are making most of your claims regarding the Astros success banking on the fact that all the other top national league players will either a.) completley suck this year or b.) get injured.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 PM

It's obvious you guys are gonna see what you want to see. Just watch how it plays out this year.

Oh, by the way, Lane is definitely better than Encarnacion, and Wilson is definitely better than Rodriguez or Taguchi.

Also i'd rather have Backe on my staff than either Suppan or Marquis. Those guys are trash. Backe is trash too in the regular season but at least he's money in the playoffs.