Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: PS-60 Experiment – Quit limping in the small blind. It annoys me!

Remember when examining the EV of a play like this that you have some equity when you check too.

Still, I think it's a good play with a wide range of hands at most SNG levels. I like people who get an idea and then do an experiment to test it. Good job, you scientist.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember when examining the EV of a play like this that you have some equity when you check too.

Still, I think it's a good play with a wide range of hands at most SNG levels. I like people who get an idea and then do an experiment to test it. Good job, you scientist.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, beat you by 3 minutes! sucka!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:55 PM

With a play like this you can alternate between checking and raising. When checking, you're still ok, because you are going to be in position when the flop comes and he misses and checks.
This also works in the later levels. I like to punish limpers with a big allin once the blinds get large.
Max
Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]. balls.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]. balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe..."balls"
Old 03-31-2006, 03:48 PM

I never call in the SB unless heads-up with large stacks. I raise in the BB a lot after a SB call but probably only about 50% and never at at the 20 and 30 blind levels.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To me this is a kin to stealing the blinds in the early levels, it's just not worth it.

The problem I have is that you are giving a lot of information early in the SNG, which your opponent can use at the higher blind levels to burn you. If you are always raising his SB, he'll be in a good position to trap you. Or, he might adjust and start raising and taking your blinds.

I would rather let them limp the SB 100% of the time early and let them get comfortable with the idea they will get cheap flops. Then, when the blinds get high they will continue this trend and you can push junk and get folds often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think its worth it at the 10/20 and 15/30 Blind levels. I agree that you're giving away your future plans at higher blind levels for little chip value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good point and the play should be mainly used outside the first two levels. However, I don't really think you are costing yourself toooo much in future plans with this because it is a rare play. Maybe a little though. It took me a few hundred sngs to get 100 trials for the play. So I would guess it comes up once every 4 sngs or so. Not too often and thus, difficult for anyone to catch on to what you are doing. Then again, if picking small blinds just slighty impacts your ability to pick them up later on then that could be bad.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the situation. You are in the big blind. It is folded around to the small blind and the small blind limps. For the longest time, I would check my rags in the big blind and take a flop. The occasions I lost the hand I would often be beaten by rags. My point is that so many players can’t let go of their hand in the sb here. Some players will call with any two even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a simple question, why does this annoy you? He's letting you see a free flop. Would you rather him raising your BB every hand?

I say this because I get annoyed on the other end of the spectrum where I'm limping in the SB with a legitimate hand like QT to see a flop early and what happens about 90% of the time is the BB raises just because I limped. So I've generally stopped limping because it litterally happens every time I limp, and I go right into limping in the SB with AK+ to trap. It is satisfying to see these overly aggressive morons get limp-raised and spite call with A5 and J9 over and over again but I think we would all be better off if we allowed some people to limp in once in a while.

Or perhaps you would rather me just raising your blind everytime and shutting out out?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 PM

QT is crap, but sure it's fine to complete with in BvB. I don't know where you're running into these hyperaggressive BBs that continuously raise a SB completion. Doesn't seem all that frequent to me. I see plenty flops completing in the SB.

And if you want to constantly raise my BB from the SB please by all means do it. You are OOP after all and I will, after all, pick up on your pattern. A SB who constantly raises my BB is easily exploitable. By the same token if a BB keeps raising after you complete then don't complete hands you're not willing to call raises with and complete with big hands. Counter.