Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Barry G softplaying ?

BarryG,

grats on your recent WPC finish. "one of our own," Carl Olson, just missed out on the tv final table. any anecdotes from playing with him?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember twice I thought she was stealing from the cutoff, but I let it go. One of those times the big blind played back at her and her hand got shown: two queens.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a donk! Thanks for posting and being a standup guy.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BarryG,

grats on your recent WPC finish. "one of our own," Carl Olson, just missed out on the tv final table. any anecdotes from playing with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Carl played well and I definitely pegged him as a dangerous player. I even told him I was rooting against him on one hand when he was all-in in a race against a weaker player.

One minor criticism is that he lost some of his aggressiveness when he got the chip lead at the final table. It is human nature for someone who hasn't been there before. (It didn't help that I was on his left.) He was so glad to finally get in good chip position, that he seemed to stop stealing which might increase his chances of making the final six, but decrease his chances for winning the whole thing.

Also, he made himself pretty readable on his semi-bluffs against me and made it easy for me to call him. (I suspect he plays much more on the Internet than live, and therefore hasn't focused on having unreadable mannerisms.) Of course, it worked out for him, since he drew out on me both times. Those hands were the main reason I didn't have a huge chip lead going to the final six.

Barry
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM

Hi Barry, this is Carl. I agree I probably should have been more aggressive at the final table. I wanted to and felt like I wasn't raising enough. I wasn't picking up anything, and I guess I was overly conscious of having you right behind me. I was worried you would take advantage of me stealing as soon as you noticed I was opening too much.

Obviously you were respecting my raises since you didn't repop me once.

It was a pleasure playing with you, and I was rooting for you after I busted.