Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Cutters

I teach math in highschool and the other day during lunch I had a girl come up and show me the reason she missed the day before. I knew she had missed for personal reasons but that was it. I didnt require her to give me a reason and didnt ask, but instead she initiated. She proceeds to roll up her sleeve and shows me where she was cutting the night before. It was all across the tracks so its not a suicide thing, but very disturbing none the less. I explained all about how im there to talk, blah blah, referred her to a counsellor, and talked to the counsellor my self.

For those who have any experience or knowledge on this. Is it just an attention thing or does cutting really stop their emotional pain?

Have cutters been around forever like 16th century cutters? Or is it like its got some mainstream attention in different forms of media so now they do it cause they saw it on TV and want the attention?

rJ
Old 03-31-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Cutters

i have known a few cutters, and they are rarely suicidal. most don't do it for attention either. they believe that cutting their skin really does help them heal their emotional wounds, at least temporarily.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:16 AM

people cut for various reasons. some do it because the pain of cutting makes them forget about worse pain elsewhere, sort of like multipler identity disorder. others do it because they derive pleasure from the release of adrenaline cutting provides (this pleasure helps them forget about other pain). there are other reasons too, some just do it for attention.

as with any psychological disorder there can be a ton of reasons. for many kids who do it though, at least temporarliy it really does help them forget.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:23 AM

dear rj,

next time you and i meet up, check out my left forearm

peace

john nickle
Old 03-31-2006, 03:27 AM

My sister did this and also came really close to killing herself. This happened recently, we aren't that close so I haven't talked to her about it but from what others have told me she was feeling that everyone hated her and I think she started to hate herself. I think self loathing is a big part of it.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:46 AM

Borderline Personality Disorder cases often cut....

Oh, [censored] it, I can't help myself:

Old 03-31-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Borderline Personality Disorder cases often cut....

Oh, [censored] it, I can't help myself:

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:53 AM

I took a very dark spin a few yrs ago and had a coule times where my legs/arms look like someone took a cat's claws and raked them over about 20 times -

usually I was drunk and suicidal - don't know exactly why I did it - it is a coping mechanism for depression, but not necessariy indicative of suicidal thoughts - I only did it two or three times myself -

but then I was suicidal at the time.

while it might help the emotional pain, it should be pretty damn obvious it's one of the worst solutions - hopefully she'll go see that counsellor you recommended.

RB