Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 10:22 PM

Default new to stud; king high flush

I'm sure you hear it all the time in this forum, but I usually play HE and wanted to branch out. The table is loose/passive, and I haven't picked up specific reads. I'm still working on tracking the up cards, so I'm not picking up on the other players tendencies that well. Basically, I'm not good at this game.

7 Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

River - (10.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises

Total pot: (14.70 BB)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Re: new to stud; king high flush

I'd bet fourth here everytime
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet fourth here everytime

[/ QUOTE ]

Originally I planned on responding with a reason why I didn't bet, but the only thing I could come up with is cause I don't know what I'm doing.

Now I'm thinking I should bet because no one has shown any strength, so it is likely that I have the best hand, and I would like to get people out of the pot in case I make two pair.

Is that the right thought process? Sorry if this really basic and annoying, and thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:58 PM

You have an incredibly live 3flush + pair on fourth in a big multiway pot. You are sure to have more than 0.2 pot equity so you're building value while at the same time charging people to draw against you. If they all call, that's good for you. If they all fold, or if only one or two people call, that's great too. If someone raises behind you, you are happy to play this hand heads up as well, esp with all those dead aces.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM

Fold third. You've got a baby pair with a weak, dead kicker. 7CS is a game of live cards, and even if just one of your kickers is out, your hand is greatly diminished. If you had a J, K or A instead of a 3, you've got a strong hand, especially becuase you've also got the added equity of a 2 flush.

On 4th, you've got a 3 flush, with only 2 dead hearts, and now you've got a live kicker with the K. Definitely bet.

Raise fifth. A live, high 4 flush in stud is a monster. You've got a ton of equity. It'd be nice to knock out seat 1. He's got a possible wheel plus a possible K high 4 flush. Make him pay 2 bets to see 6th.

6th is close, but I think you played it right. Seat 1 might already have the flush he's representing, but the post big enough to call. And luckily for you, the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is already out, so he can only have a K high flush.

The check/raise on the river is bold and bad @ss, but I think I just call. Sometimes I think I play too scared, but I'd be worried he had a K high flush with a better kicker.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:32 PM

The call on third is fine with this many limpers. At low stakes, you want to get in and mix it up cheaply on third -- you have an extra big bet street giving you better implied odds. Fourth I personally don't bet -- your hand has had marginal improvement, you probably won't fold anyone who has a hand you would want to fold and even if you do get out a baby pair or high cards, you're now making the pot bigger and potentially tying yourself on with a shaky hand. I like your play all the way from there. If has a better flush or concealed full, so be it.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The check/raise on the river is bold and bad @ss, but I think I just call. Sometimes I think I play too scared, but I'd be worried he had a K high flush with a better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, on the other hand, your board looks ragged enough that I doubt he figures you for a king high flush and would not fear betting something weaker.