Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Re: College Major

[ QUOTE ]

What college major would be of most benefit to me in relation to playing poker? I was thinking Probablity/Statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players are failed statisticians. Certainly you don't need a degree in that field to become a great poker player.

Instead, even if you're serious about poker, why not consider getting a degree in another field of interest to you that has absolutely nothing to do with poker?

Trust me, being a poker pro gets old. I'm not complaining, but I really am starting to wonder how I'll explain my resume gap.

Breadth. Poker isn't everything.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What college major would be of most benefit to me in relation to playing poker? I was thinking Probablity/Statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players are failed statisticians.

[/ QUOTE ]

i must be an anamoly then.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:21 AM

I have a degree in psychology and I can honestly say that it helps, but not as much as one might think. At the bachelor level you're going to be studying things like child development, states of consciousness, human sexuality, deviant behavior, major writings of Freud, Jung, Erikson, etc. All interesting stuff, but not really applicable to poker (unless you consider Hellmuth to be exhibiting deviant behavior).

What does apply to poker is the statistics courses (indirectly of course, they're very different statistics) and at least one course on communication that includes body language (including involuntary cues).

If I were picking a major specifically for poker it would have to be some form of mathematics.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 AM

maintain course.

Barron
Old 01-03-2006, 12:55 PM

I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I have to write this quickly eventhough some of you will think that I am totally misled.

My biggest goal in life is to never work for someone else again. Meaning, I do not want to work at the benefit for someone else. I want to create my own money.

I either want to start my own business, or play poker full-time. I have traded stocks and foreign exchange to try to get me ahead, but so far, it's not working.

The only job I will actually take is to be a police officer, and I will be going to a police academy starting in a week, on the 9th. Doing that will supplement me with money while I pursue other things and try to get ahead on my own.

I have been in the National Guard for 5 1/2 years and that has been my income since I graduated from high-school, 5 years ago. (I have been deployed 2 times, which is where most of my money has come from).
Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM

Ok, so I just read what everyone said, and I enjoyed all of the responses.

I'm going to stick with Finance since that probably gives me the best track with "money." I have taken a probability/statistics class, and I also have to take Quantitative Business Statistics. This is probably all I really need.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I wanted to major in Pokerology or anything. I just wanted something that was applicable at best to the inner-workings of poker itself, like the mathematics of it.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write a response!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players are failed statisticians.

[/ QUOTE ]

i must be an anamoly then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not failed statisticians exactly -- the word I was searching for was not failed, but useless. Hopefully it doesn't take a highly educated statistician to determine the probability that that miraculous gutshot draw will hit.

And conversely, I sure hope talented statisticians are not wasting too much time playing a card game in which the Poisson distribution is not seriously considered.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I searched for this question, I know it is somewhere. I don't know how to use the search function effectively. If you can direct me to it, thanks, if not, maybe you can answer this for me.

I started college as a Criminology major. Right now I am Business-Finance. I got into trading stocks and that is why it was my major. Now, I lost interest in trading stocks and I love playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can make money playing poker, I recommend dropping out. I dropped out of college to gamble several months ago and I haven't looked back since.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 AM

i think you should go with sociology. if poker doesnt work out for you at least you have a degree in something that can get you a vast array of jobs.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you should go with sociology. if poker doesnt work out for you at least you have a degree in something that can get you a vast array of jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sociology is one course that I refuse to take. I had a Sociology intro class and the professor was horrible. Ruined my interest.