Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: 2 pair on a flushy board.....

yes, b/f the turn.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:54 PM

I think the bet-fold others are recommending for the turn is a good line, but if SB was in fact checkraising a flush draw on the flop, then that's unfortunate, because you're going to get checkraised again on the turn and end up folding when you practically have the immediate odds to call for your 4 outs versus a flush.

So I can understand the thinking behind your turn check. And I don't really think the check is as bad as others have made it sound. Villain wasn't going to fold a diamond anyway. And since he could have two of them, you're the one who might end up folding a hand with a decent chance to win if you bet. (And versus a tricky/aggressive Villain who might checkraise again with, say, 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], as well as with trip 4's or a flush, a defensive turn check becomes a serious consideration. I kind of doubt your unknown Villain is all that tricky/aggressive, though.)

Anyway, once you've checked, I'm thinking maybe you should call the river despite the crappy card that fell. But I'm not sure how Cryptologic 1/2 unknowns play and could be wrong. You did encourage Villain to bet the river, though, and maybe he would do that with a diamondless pocket pair like 55.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2006, 04:40 PM

Okay, lots of reponses against my actions. Allow me to explain myself. Let me know if my logic adds up.

The Flop - I get check-raised by SB so what could he have. A Jack, a Four or a flush draw are favourites. Outsiders are Ace high, a low pp and a total bluff. I'm discounting the total bluff as I give people the benefit of the doubt when I have no stats on them. So when he calls my 3-bet on the flop which of the above are still likely? I think a four would cap here so that can be dismissed. A jack may also cap especially against a pfr who is unlikely to have a four. That leaves the flush draw as the likely holding and a low pp or Ace high as a possibilty.

So when the diamond fell on the turn the only hands I was beating was a loww pp and Ace high so I checked with the intention of seeing a cheap showdown.

When the fourth diamond came on the river I was not calling in this relatively small pot.

To cut a long story short I put villain on two diamonds and that's why I checked the turn.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, lots of reponses against my actions. Allow me to explain myself. Let me know if my logic adds up.

The Flop - I get check-raised by SB so what could he have. A Jack, a Four or a flush draw are favourites. Outsiders are Ace high, a low pp and a total bluff. I'm discounting the total bluff as I give people the benefit of the doubt when I have no stats on them. So when he calls my 3-bet on the flop which of the above are still likely? I think a four would cap here so that can be dismissed. A jack may also cap especially against a pfr who is unlikely to have a four. That leaves the flush draw as the likely holding and a low pp or Ace high as a possibilty.

So when the diamond fell on the turn the only hands I was beating was a loww pp and Ace high so I checked with the intention of seeing a cheap showdown.

When the fourth diamond came on the river I was not calling in this relatively small pot.

To cut a long story short I put villain on two diamonds and that's why I checked the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's a strong likelihood he has a flush on the turn, you'd certainly want to check.

People are just disagreeing with you about how likely a flush (or some other better hand) is, I think.

In any case, if a turn bet is good, it's good because there's value in the bet. (If you bet, I think you'll be pushed off of a hand with decent outs more often than Villain will, so I think saying a turn bet is for protection is somewhat misleading.)