Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Why do people hate Doyle?

I recently saw the rerun of Fox's "Beyond the Glory" that featured Doyle. It in, they said Super System sold 300,000 copies at a whopping $100 per copy. (Mine cost $30 a couple years ago)

When I heard that, I wondered how much of the $30,000,000 sold at retail is Doyle's take? My second thought was, I wonder how much he gave to Bobby Baldwin, Chip Reese, Mike Caro, David Sklansky and all the other "collaborators" to write their respective chapters?

I really don't care about the second question as it is between the parties involved. However, I am curious if anybody knows what an author's typical take is of a book's retail sales price?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:55 PM

Super System was self-published and financed by Doyle.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate him because he won't eat peanuts while he plays. PEANUTS ARE GOOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT DID HE SAY ABOUT PEANUTS??? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2006, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the media, and legend has turned him into "the top guy"

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is why. When I started playing poker (and this is just six or seven years ago), he was not a big deal at all like he is today. Super/sytem certainly was not the "bible of poker". It was an outdated book that many serious poker players read out of historical interest, but that ultimately focussed on games people didn't play anymore like draw, no-qualifier high-low stud, limit holdem with a single blind and cash game no limit holdem. Doyle was mainly an ancient character who embodied the "bad old days" of poker when it was more about hustling and cheating than skillful play.

Suddenly, he spent a shitload of money on a huge PR campaign and turned himself into this god of poker. I don't hold that against him and am impressed that he pulled it off, but I certainly can understand why people who've been around for a while get annoyed at hearing newbies who learned to play poker six months ago give some bizarro PR revisionist history about how Doyle is some sort of god and anyone who doesn't know it is clueless about poker. It is annoying on the same level as the guy who came on twoplustwo to tell the online limit pros that they are "ignorant" for not realizing that the ultimate dream for every poker player is to play in the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent been around poker that long, but it would seem that Doyle was what Johny Moss is remembered as today. Johny Moss is not remembered very fondly, in fact doyle and a few other authors have pretty much destroyed his credibility. He is seen as a man who was a great player, but didnt mind cheating if he thought he wouldnt get caught. He is seen as the ultimately hustler. There is a huge difference between how people perceive Moss and Unger even if both have been World Champions 3 times. One is seen as possibly the greatest player of all time(Unger) and the other is seen as a guy who might or might not have hustled his way to victory and overall just isnt really considered to have been that good of a player, just better at cheating and not getting caught than everyone else in his time. Its funny what a good PR campaign can do.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate him because he won't eat peanuts while he plays. PEANUTS ARE GOOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT DID HE SAY ABOUT PEANUTS??? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]go rread ss1 he bad mouths the hell out of peanuts...Doyle = peanut hating scum bag...
Old 03-24-2006, 02:44 AM

Hi Hobbes:

I think that people in general like Doyle. I've always found him to be very pleasant and personable.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 AM

In my own limited experience his reputation for being honorable is accurate.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can understand it. He (and all the elite pros for that matter) just always come off like they're setting you up for the next session. Don't think these guys wouldn't do ANYTHING to exploit an edge from you. They are all nice to an extent....but they look at anyone who is not part of their group as a donkey (which they very well should) who they can fleece. I admire them but realize they are ALWAYS in "hustle" mode, so take everything they say with a grain of salt. I think what people say they dislike in Doyle is more obvious in Todd. They come off as having a "holier than thou" attitude (which they should). Todd always seems lke he's one comment away form losing it on somebody.

I don't dislike them but I know why people do. So don't come at me defending them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about Todd always looking like he's an instant away from telling you he's gonna pound you..... and then doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I find you two I'm gonna....!!!!!!!!@%#@#*@ jk hehe
When I do most interviews it's just after I got knocked out of a tournament and I do feel like pounding someone altough that feeling is gone in about 5 minutes. I wish they would wait twenty minutes to do the interviews. I'm too competitive and I can't stand to lose. I'm sorry that I come off this way but I just can't force a smile after either getting sucked out on or failing to do it to the other guy.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:14 PM

gd post tbh, why should anyone be [censored] with talking to tv [censored] tbh.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious if anybody knows what an author's typical take is of a book's retail sales price?

[/ QUOTE ]

All depends on the deal negotiated, the publisher, etc.

Assuming the author is completely unrelated to the publisher, as a ballpark normally 5-10% of retail goes to the authors.