Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 05:08 PM

Default p-stars WSOP sats

what's the better way into the 650 weekly? i have placed well in a couple of the 3+R's (90+ percentile), but it seems like an easier shot try the $27 3-table sng. but that's too rich for how i play, plus i was entering the 3R's with W$. so first i gotta get my w$ br back up but then should i put 27 into sng instead of 6-12 into the 3R?

and if i make the 650 weekly, should i cash out those w$, use maybe 100 to get a r/a in the 33R daily, or play the weekly i won into?

i don't think i'm good enough to play the WSOP, so i don't really want to win a seat, so i would definitely not play the weekly, but i might save the w$ and then get a seat through the 2+R to the 33R daily, then rebuy with my w$ br. or is there way better odds in playing the 650? i saw a lot of you have played on it, any thoughts? a reminder that i'm not particularly focused and very susceptible to busting out after getting caught bluffing once and then taking bad beats with solid hands thereafter.

side bar: you gotta play loose and fast in the beginning of rebuy MTTs to be able to hold out till the break and beyond without panicky play, right? like in the other post i started, and buddy's advice was that i shoulda had a bigger stack going into the hand, i think that is why i didn't make the money in the 3R's.

any other thoughts on making a nice payday through satellites, the ME package not being sought very fervently, as it's nada-refundo on stars (right?), and i would want the 11k if i had the choice. i need to hone my skills especially live if i was going to have any shot in vegas at all. does the 33R daily often have a large second prize or give two seats? would the $39 2-table sng be a better chance than the $27 3-table? is a double shootout any easier than a sng?

i want to spend very little to get in, which is why i like the w$ br as it feels like free money to burn. so i'm back to 2R's to slowly by 33's build the br, so i can get in the 27 sng or the 3R's or a $16 DS??
Old 03-28-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Re: p-stars WSOP sats

The $16 DS's seem like the easiest way to get into the $650 to me, also if I was to win the seat into the $650 I would probably take $320 of it and play 2 $160 DS's into the WSOP, and maybe play 1 $33R, and W$ left over I would probably play, $39 2 tables, $27 MTT's, more $16 DS's and possibly 1 or 2 $80, trying to get my W$ BR back up to $650 and rinse repeat ad nauseum.

Cheers!
John
Old 03-28-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The $16 DS's seem like the easiest way to get into the $650 to me, also if I was to win the seat into the $650 I would probably take $320 of it and play 2 $160 DS's into the WSOP, and maybe play 1 $33R, and W$ left over I would probably play, $39 2 tables, $27 MTT's, more $16 DS's and possibly 1 or 2 $80, trying to get my W$ BR back up to $650 and rinse repeat ad nauseum.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a really bad idea. If you're any good at MTT/satellite play, you'll have the greatest edge in a tournament that give away many seats rather than few. So...

-The $33r is out because that gives away 1, 2, or maybe 3 seats with like 400+ entries.

-The $160 DS is out because even if you win the first table (which will probably have at least 1 or 2 very, very tough sng pros), you will then have to win the second, which is guaranteed to have at least 2 or 3 very, very tough sng pros.

As for the OP, if you're not interested in playing in the WSOP, don't play the sats for it. Simple. If you qualify for the $650 sat, take the W$ and do something else with them.

Adanthar said this whole thing better than I do here
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM

WoW! There is a whole lot of ideas going on in this post so let me try and answer what looks like the main question.

Yes you can build a W$ bankroll, many people have done that and can either sell those W$ for cash or use them to enter bigger tournies or other Satellites for even more W$.

Is your goal to get a huge W$ bank and then sell them? I think the going rate is something like 90%-95% of face value. Last year I won a few WCOOP satellites. Two were the 1k events and 1 main event. I sold all my W$'s.

If your goal is to get into the WSOP for cheap you can take the 3R route. Personally think this is the hardest route to a W$ payday. Or play the 16$ DS's. I have only played a couple and haven't had much success.

A freind is trying his luck at qualifying and is going the 5R to the 160 DS's. And playing the 16.00 DS to the 650 and using the 650 to play more 160 DS's.

I don't think the 33R is a good choice. It usually only pays out 1 or 2 seats and will run you 100 W$ min.

All that being said last year I won a seat in a strange way. I played a 3.00 rebuy to the weekly 215 and won a seat and took the T$. I then played the last 33R using my T$ and with 700 runners managed to win one of the 4 seats that were up for grabs.

The 33R doesn't play as fast and loose as you decribe. And it isn't necessary to have a HUGE stack to win either. There have been many solid players that have won rebuy events starting the seond hour with 5k in chips.

What is the best method? It really depends on your strengths. If single table sngs are your thing try the 16.00 DS's. If MTT sngs are your thing play the 3 tables to the 650. If Turbo rebuys are your thing play the 2R and collect W$, 33 at a time.

It should also be noted that if you are good at the 3R to the 650 maybe the 3R to the 215 is a better choice as it will payout nearly 3x the spots. Or play the 11R Turbo and collect T$ that way.

What I am saying is don't limit yourself to the W$s. Play to your strengths.

Hotrod
Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 PM

As far as winning a seat to a live event, I've done it through an FPP tournament (EPT Barcelona 2005), a super satellite (EPT Dublin 2005), and a double shootout (PCA 2006). So they all work. Tried the $33 rebuy a couple of times for PCA, but it is one of the hardest ways (as are the fpp tournaments) as so few spots pay.

With respect to building W$, I don't think the $16 double shootouts can be beat. If you take 1st you get 650 W$. Usually, if you take 2nd-5th you get $72. I've played about 25 of these in the last 2 weeks. I've taken 1st 3 times, and have made over $300 placing in the money. I was lucky though and won my 4th double shootout so I've been playing entirely on W$ since then (along with some unsuccessful $3+R attempts).
Old 03-28-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If single table sngs are your thing try the 16.00 DS's

[/ QUOTE ]

these are how i turn a profit on my money, but i can never dominate. i can usually avoid bubbling and make the top three, but HU i rarely win. it looks like any way i slice it i'm gonna have to get pretty lucky! sigh...