Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: River question

Doesn't bet / call gain an extra bet when villain calls with the worse hand, and pick off an extra bet when villain bluffs? For that reason I like bet / call more than bet /fold. I don't like check / call against typical tight-weak calling stations because we'll lose that extra river bet that would almost certainly be called far more often than we'll gain an extra bet on a bluff should we check. However, this is extremely read dependant. If villain is a mouse, I'd advocate bet / fold. This proposes the problem of folding for one BB in what would then be a 9 BB pot, however, this is why your read is so paramount.

Sometimes a situation arises where a particular opponent almost can't be bluffing. If you decide based on your read and the events that took place in the hand, that this particular opponent wouldn't bluff-raise a scary river, you can fold to his river raise confidently. There really is no general rule here, unless we're dealing with particular types of opponents. I'd think that based on villain's actions, he's a typical calling station, so I'd usually advise to bet / fold against that type of opponent, based on his / her general timidity. Against more aggressive opponents or maniacs, bet / call or check / call look good because we'll induce bluffs often by checking to scary looking cards (what they'll see as good bluffing opportunities) and we'll gain two bets those times when our hyper-aggressive opponents believe they can push us off a hand with a river raise. In that case, the pot would be too big against that type of opponent to justify folding for one BB in a 9 BB pot.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Re: River question

I like to check/call against an unknown here. I doubt that the last card made a straight after he cold-called your raise, but he had odds to call a flush draw all the way down. Without reads, it's tough to suggest any adjustments to this play.