Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Default ($33) Cost of Living?

Please excuse me if this thread is in the wrong place, or if I should not have posted at all, as it is my first thread.

I've been lurking the forums for awhile, and I finally decided to join. I'm considering diving into the world of steady SNGs. I've played Party for a little over a year, and my screen name should be around 40%, possibly a bit higher. Most of these SNGs are either $22s or $33s.

Now, if I start the steady pace of SNGs, I'm thinking I'll play for about 7 hours a day, 6 days a week. I don't have much of a bankroll to start with, I'm hoping for around 1500$ to cover 45 buy-ins. I figure for about 150 tournaments a week at this pace. I see in the FAQ thread that a "good" player has about 16% ROI in $33, so I'll be modest and say mine will be 12%.

If I do these numbers, about 600 SNGs($33) a month at 12% ROI, I think thats about $2400 profit a month. My question is, if anyone else had to start in these circumstances, how were you able to cover the cost of living (until you moved up)?

Thanks 2+2,
Matt
Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: ($33) Cost of Living?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think 45 buyins is nearly enough if you're going to actually live on that. If these are speeds youre going to be playing, then definitly not. And, I'm not sure how many SNGs youve ever played, but you might not even know if you're a winning player yet, or what kind of ROI you can truly sustain.

Also, you need a huge amount in reserve if you are going to live on this. Otherwise, you shouldn't make that jump yet (theres tons of other threads about this, I'm just stating some of the major points). I guess it depends how old you are and whether or not going busto is going to make you homeless essentially, or if youve still got a bed at home.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 AM

7 hours a day, 6 days a week = 600 a month? Are you single tabling?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:09 PM

I was thinking if it were 4 at time, I guess it would be minimum 25 a day, 150 a week, 600 a month. But like I said, I don't have much experience with SnGs in bulk, so please excuse anything that sounds dumb.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:33 PM

4 at a time you can run like 10+ per hour...so thats 420 a week, 1700+ per month, a little more then you expected :P (assuming speeds of course)
Old 03-28-2006, 12:34 PM

first off - you won't play 7 hours a day 6 days a week. Okay, let me rephrase, I have never consistently played 7 hours a day 6 days a week since I have been in this game, and I still have suffered huge periods of burnout. To play this many games you need to multitable more tables.

As far as covering living expenses, given your projected 2400 a month, I would say if your living expenses are more than half that, you would need another job to cover them until you moved up to a level where you could easily cover them.