Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 12:25 AM

Default QQ - at what point should I lay this down,

Hi All,

I don't post much but I am an avid reader here. I am not really a rookie I have 100k hands spread from .5/1 to 3/6, but I'm not a great player by any means. I want to start posting here to get some pointers, so away we go.

I have no reads on this hand, basically just sat down. I find myself in these situations often, where I have a great hand PF but don't know what to do once opponent shows aggression when there are overcards. Did I make the right calls/raises?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
Old 03-28-2006, 12:36 AM

Default Re: QQ - at what point should I lay this down,

Fold the flop readless. What hands cap that aren't beating you now? Just JJ and TT perhaps, and those defintely do not 3 bet the flop.

If you do decide that opponent is loose aggressive enough that you might be ahead, then you want to call down rather than inform the maniac that he's toast. That way, the maniac puts in more money, and you minimize risk. There aren't any cards to come that can hurt you.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:43 AM

fold the flop at his initial bet or his 3-bet?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 AM

Preflop is fine. With AK on board and QQ, unless there are 3 diamonds out there, don't bother, someone has an A or K and you are drawing to 2 outs. If no A hits, you can play a little stronger but remember that MP1 capped, he could easily have AA or KK. Wait for a better spot with QQ, it is weaker in those kinds of pots than AA or KK by a little bit.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 AM

both.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 AM

Sounds like we have to fold flop bet even if there was no K on the flop. Is it a wrong understanding?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:03 AM

I usually just fold the flop here. If I think the player is getting out of line, I usually just call. I peel on the flop on occasion because with do have a backdoor nut flush draw and backdoor straight draw and the pot is fairly large.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:05 AM

If the flop were [A62] This is what we'd call way ahead way behind: either our Qs are behind and we only have two outs, or, our Qs are good and only the remaining Ks and/or set cards threaten us. We then have to decide what the bettor and remaining player might have, and that requires having watched them. If the bettor often fires flop (and perhaps turn) con't bets, and the remaining player will either call with losing hands too much or is too passive (all reasonable possibilities in small stakes) then you can call down. This lets the aggressor bluff the most, lets the caller call the most, and offers the least risk of any plan that has you seeing the showdown.

Without reads, you'd be relying on the capper and coldcaller both to have JJ-22, Kx, misc. crap; this is too unlikely, so you can fold to the flop bet (14.5:1 not closing).
Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 AM

Id call on the flop getting 14/1 for my BDFD and 2 Qs. Fold the turn UI
Old 03-28-2006, 04:56 AM

I fold the flop. I also fold the turn. The river is meh.