Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 PM

Default $20 MTT - Don\'t regret the play..regret the catch...

$22 MTT - down from 700 some players to 68. New chip leader at the table ( I was previously ) just called half his stacks against 2 all in's in front of him w/ AQos and caught 3 Q's...

Blinds 300/600

My M is right at 20, and my Q @ 2

So I get AKs in late position.

New chip leader raises pre flop to 4X BB

I go over the top. He insta calls.

To show... AQos....

And of course.... I wouldn't be posting this if he didn't spike a Q on the flop.

Now.. NORMALLY I Wouldn't make this an agressive of push on the raiser...but he'd shown REPEATEDLY that his raising and calling raise was HUGE.... several times he'd called all in's with LOW PP and was dominated.. until he caught.

His stack was up and down.

I don't regret my push here. I'm a more than 4 to 1 favorite on AQ ( and I had him for low PP or AX ) and would have gotten more than 2 to 1 on my money, and I would have been the tourney chip leader.

So what do you guys / gals think?

Bad move? Discuss....
Old 01-04-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: $20 MTT - Don\'t regret the play..regret the catch...

Nothing more than you can ask for than to put your money in when you have the best of it. Good job noticing his calling standards for huge raises and taking advantage of it. I would've done the same.

-$$
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 PM

terrible, terrible play. The fact that you were eliminated should clearly demonstrate that you did something wrong, how do you not see that? I can't imagine ever wanting to get my money in preflop ak v aq. Oh and by the way, you're not even close to a 'more than 4:1 favorite', you're actually a mere 3:1 favorite. Maybe you enjoy getting all your money in as a 3:1 favorite with your tournament life on the line, but I'd prefer to stay alive, thanks.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM

Would help to know the size of the big stack. Would he be hurt signficantly by losing to you, or can he afford the loss? It sounds like he wasn't that far ahead of you.

So you've got 18000. Villain raises preflop to 2400. You've certainly got a reraising hand. You know your opponent is very loose. If you push, he'll call you with, let's say, AJ+ and any pair. You're probably a coinflip, possibly way ahead. Additionally, you theoretically have some FE, though it's obviously less against a loose player.

I won't argue against a push here. Probably +EV play. You could also argue for a reraise, say, to about 7000, and then reevaluate after the flop since you could still fold then and have a sizeable stack.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM

Since you understand that you shouldn't normally make this large of a raise because you are usually only called by hands that dominate you, but you did so correctly expecting to get called by a worse hand, this is simply a bad beat post.

Bad beats go in the BBV forum. Good luck.