Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Is my betting strategy wrong?

Villain in this hand sees at least 75% of flops usually with big raises. Should I have gone all-in here at the get-go?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (5 handed) converter

Hero (t5245)
UTG (t7954)
MP (t7075)
Button (t13996)
SB (t2830)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, UTG calls t400.

Flop: (t2475) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1600</font>, Hero calls t800.

Turn: (t5675) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t2000</font>, Hero calls t2000.

River: (t9675) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t1200</font>, Hero calls t420 (All-In).

Final Pot: t11295
Old 03-25-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Is my betting strategy wrong?

I would either make a bigger cbet on the flop or just check/call it all the way.

You could reraise allin on the flop if you think you are ahead. There are a lot of draws on the board.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:06 PM

If you are only going to make a mini reraise preflop you might as well just call his raise and see what the flop brings. The idead of reraising is to cause your opponent to make a mistake. When you reraised in this instance you gave your opponent 6 1/2 to 1 to call without even considering implied odds. I think you want to make at least a pot size reraise here preflop and if reraised all-in then call. Pushing preflop is definitely a viable option.

Your mini bet on the flop looks weak especially when you just call his reraise. But his mini raise on the flop and then big bet but less than all-in on the turn looks like he wants you to call. I think you muck the turn. I also don't like your mini bet on the flop. It accomplishes nothing. A check call looks a lot stronger and may save you some chips if you are behind.

I think that you got yourself in a world of trouble by making a small reraise preflop.

Vince
Old 03-25-2006, 12:10 PM

push preflop but since you didnt you gotta fold flop he has you beat.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 PM

And push preflop. The miniraise is awful, particularly with QQ and OOP. If you push, a smaller pp may call, thinking you have AK/AQ or a medium pp. A push may also look like you are defending your blind and get loose action. Also, you don't mind taking it down preflop.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:16 PM

Well, I think I should have pushed pre-flop. Vincent has it right on the money. Villain was drawing to the flush with Q-3 spades. I knew at the end that my betting strategy was the problem, as usual. I wonder tho, would this type of player with chip lead have continued with the gamble pre-flop?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I think I should have pushed pre-flop. Vincent has it right on the money. Villain was drawing to the flush with Q-3 spades. I knew at the end that my betting strategy was the problem, as usual. I wonder tho, would this type of player with chip lead have continued with the gamble pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

The chip leader is obviously using his stack to his advantage. On this hand, he is likely only raising pf to steal the blinds. Knowing this, by only raising the minimum, you are begging him to call. IMO, QQ (OOP) isn't a "trapping" hand. If you push pf, you don't really care if he wants to continue his "gambling ways". You are going to be a favourite against every hand other than AA or KK. I would definitely push PF, and pray to god that he calls with his Q3s. You are about a 8.5-1 favourite against that hand. Obvioulsy, this situation would have worked out poorly but all you can do is get your money in with as big a lead as possible and they don't get much better than 8.5-1.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:51 PM

Thanks very much everyone. I've learned alot from this hand. Next time I push back.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:52 PM

I don't like your min raise preflop. There is too much money he is correct to call with just about anything 850 plus his 800 is 1600, you bet 1200 making it 2800 and it costs him 400 to call. At 7 to 1 I call this with anything.

Pushing all in on the flop is a good move at this level and the size of the pot and given he is a maniac.

1650 + your all in of about 4790 after posting BB and ante makes the pot 6440 costing him 3990 to call he not is getting less than 2 to 1 and using up half his stack in the process.

You put max pressure on him to fold with AK AQ or any A rag or small, mid PP. He can fold and still have a big stack. and if you win what is in the pot you increase your stack by about 25%.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:54 PM

you've just got to play that hand much stronger. Really weak betting there costs you a nice pot. Just throw the min reraise out of the arsenal.