Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Ask miajag81 a question about World War II

The Germans had by far the best machine gun of the war in the MG42. It was the first general purpose machine gun (GPMG), meaning that it could be fired from a bipod as a squad support weapon or from a tripod as a heavier weapon in a fixed position. They also developed the first assault rifles in the MP43/MP44 series, which was revolutionary. Everyone imitated these weapons after the war. Look at the weapons the US fought Vietnam with: the M16, based on the same concept as the MP43, and the M60, based on the same concept as the MG42.

The M1 Garand was the best regular service rifle of the war. Even up to the end, most units in every other army used bolt action rifles that fired much more slowly than the M1. But our troops were stuck with the BAR as a squad support weapon, which was greatly inferior to the MG42. We based our tactics around riflemen, the Germans based theirs around their machine guns, and the German tactics generally worked better.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:49 AM

When exactly did Hitler change from a great leader to an evil dictator? Were the drugs a major cause of this change, or was he always like this and didn't show his true colors until he had Germany by the balls?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When exactly did Hitler change from a great leader to an evil dictator? Were the drugs a major cause of this change, or was he always like this and didn't show his true colors until he had Germany by the balls?

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is the latter. i think he knew well what he was going to do. he was just biding his time until he was powerful enough.

also there is a fine line between what you percieve as a 'evil dictator' because he was openly hating jews before he became very powerful, i believe.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also there is a fine line between what you percieve as a 'evil dictator' because he was openly hating jews before he became very powerful, i believe.

[/ QUOTE ]
All of Europe hated Jews. Almost everyone agreed with Hitler, and many important people outside of Germany admired his solution.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:04 AM

Well, his hatred of Jews stemmed back to his childhood. There's a big difference between hating Jews and trying to eradicate Jews.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which was the best overall tank in ww2?

[/ QUOTE ]

As for tanks which were widely used, probably the T-34.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to Google for the right T model but I think you got it. Reading Beevers "Stalingrad" right now. T-34 was a great weapon, especially in cold weather.

~ Rick
Old 03-25-2006, 04:21 AM

An example of popular histories would be something akin to the Stephen Ambrose books (e.g., "Band of Brothers"). What are your favorite popular histories of WW2?.

~ Rick
Old 03-25-2006, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Had Britain allied with Germany from the start, what do you think the chances are the Axis would have won instead?

Had Britain ever considered this?

Why do Americans keep saying they saved Britain's ass when in reality they saved each other's asses? (you don't have to answer that one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) no I'm not British

[/ QUOTE ]

Hitler talks about this twice in his second book. first he says WW1 was a bad choice for Germany and if they had just stuck to being a landed power they would not have been involved with England and would have done fine. He goes on to say England is the only country other than Italy that can be at peace with Germany in a conquered Europe. Italy because they only want the south and England because they are concerned with the overseas empire. Hitler wanted England but knew it would not happen. England was too power too make a deal. Had England been an ally, Hitler would have overrun all of Western Europe by 1940, would have faced a one front war against Russia and would likely not have had to fight the US as we would not have come to the aide of Russia alone.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hitler based his early euthanasia programs on ones going on in America since the 20's. We were the first to start mandatory sterilization of the mentally/physically handicapped.
There is alot of evidence which says Hitler developed Parkinsons by 1943/44 this is why he fanatically stuck to conquering Russia when England needed to be dealt with and why he did not listen to advice on where the allies were comin ashore. This led to the 2 front war that he had previously said would beat Germany.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Which was the best overall tank in ww2?
2. Is it correct that USSR lost far more civilians than the Jews did, if so why arent there memorials to them all over the world. Also is int true that Hitler would have eliminated Slavs eventually so that German people could have their land?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I suppose the USSR erected quite a few memorials to its Allied partners in the spirit of cooperation.

Furthermore, I am sure most of the USSR's occupied sattelites were very much interested in erecting memorials to their "liberators."

I suppose you may consider the "Berlin Wall" as the grandest and most famous of the WWI memorials to the USSR.