Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM

Default hand thoughts

Let me start this by saying I am not a poker pro and really only play for fun. I read this site much more than I post but I would like to start posting more for advice because I feel I will learn alot more for that. Well I have been on a pretty good run of cards the last couple of weeks at pokerroom in the $10 and $20 sit and goes so I decided for fun I would enter a $100 game. When this hand came up very early in the game. Can you take a look and let me know if I played this very bad. The reason I ask is because the guy who I beat at the showdown was pissed and telling me Im a fish and I chase to much I suck yadda yadda yadda. I don't really mind it but I just figure I can get some advice here on if this is really a fish play and maybe I can fix my game or if this type of play was fine. Seat 1: rounderman11 ($2,100 in chips)
Seat 2: bear_kid ($1,865 in chips)
Seat 3: derek_fisher ($2,000 in chips)
Seat 4: gallagej ($3,965 in chips)
Seat 6: propunt1 ($1,950 in chips)
Seat 7: hathot ($1,970 in chips)
Seat 8: Webber2057 [JH,AH] ($2,100 in chips)
Seat 9: schiffy3 ($1,920 in chips)
Seat 10: loosecraps4u ($2,130 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
rounderman11 posts blind ($10), bear_kid posts blind ($20).

PRE-FLOP
derek_fisher folds, gallagej folds, propunt1 calls $20, hathot folds,
Webber2057 bets $60, schiffy3 folds, loosecraps4u folds, rounderman11
calls $50, bear_kid calls $40, propunt1 calls $40.

FLOP [board cards 3H,10D,QH ]
rounderman11 bets $120, bear_kid folds, propunt1 folds, Webber2057
bets $240, rounderman11 calls $120.

TURN [board cards 3H,10D,QH,8D ]
rounderman11 checks, Webber2057 bets $100, rounderman11 calls $100.

RIVER [board cards 3H,10D,QH,8D,6H ]
rounderman11 checks, Webber2057 bets $200, rounderman11 calls $200.

SHOWDOWN
Webber2057 shows [ JH,AH ]
rounderman11 mucks cards [ KD,QD ]
Webber2057 wins $1,320.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: hand thoughts

I think he was the fish
You bet/raised PF,FLOP,TURN,RIVER and he called you (he got correct odds to call the turn).

He did not read your hand correctly. You had flush draw and an inside straight draw and had a very good chance of hitting it if you got to see both the turn and river.
Your raise on the flop is a good way of disguising a drwaing hand and then getting a free card to the river especially as you had been PF raiser.

Your turn play was the only play I would question. Either take the free card or try a 1/2 pot to 3/4 pot continuation bet to try and take the pot down. Since u have been aggresive to this point and the possible diamond flush draw I would have gone with the later.

And you could have got more abuse from him had you pushed all your chips in on the river as i think he would have looked you up because you havent played the hand like someone on a draw and you had the nuts.

Conclusion

You played the hand resonably well definetly not fish like.
I think you should try to extract more value on the river when you do hit these hands. I have found that an all-in on the river is more likely to get called then 1/2 pot bet.

Your turn play was a bit puzzling could you elaborate your thinking at the time ?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 AM

The only problem I have with the hand are the small bets on the turn and river. That's probably what pissed dude off because it was hard for him to get the right read on you. The 8 on the turn actually helped you, giving you four more outs to a straight with 9's. You probably could've gotten more value from the hand with larger bets.

Also I wouldn't be worried about a reraise on the turn. I would be perfectly happy putting all my chips in the center on the turn if I got reraised. You have 15 outs to a straight or flush and three outs to top pair. If you had massaged the pot just right you could've gotten all his chips.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:44 AM

thanks for the responses. very intersting reading these and seeing some things that didn't even cross my mind like pushing on the River. to answer your question about the turn play my orignal thought after the raising the flop was to get a free card but when it happened the way I wanted he checked the turn I decided to throw out a bet thinking if he had a PP or A 10 I could get him to lay it down so I didn't have to hit on the river. I realized right after the bet that it was two small of a bet for him to lay just about anything down. Once I hit on the River I didn't want to bet to much to scare him away so I just tossed out 200 thinking he would think I missed a draw and that he could reraise me out of the pot if he had top pair or two pair.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Ant

Your right I really should have reraised more on both turn and river. What size bet would you recommend on the Turn in this Situation? I know the river could have been much larger maybe even a push.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Ant

You should get in the habit of always considering the size of the pot when betting after the flop (and even in some instances before the flop). In this case the pot is 720 when the turn card hits and you and your opponent have 1800 left. I think a good bet here is anywhere from 360 (half the pot) to 720.

This bet size will accomplish two things. It's large enough so that if he doesn't have a hand (A10) or has a low or med PP he'll have to fold. If he does have a hand (we know he's got KQ) he's faced with a big decision. If he calls the pot will be so large that if you go all-in on the river he'll probably have to call even if he doesn't improve. With a big draw like that I want to try and get all my money in the pot. The best way to do that is to massage the pot along the way with half pot sized bets
Old 01-04-2006, 02:49 PM

I'm going to agree with the other posters, you played this with the right intentions but didn't execute it that well.

For the record, I think your opponent could have saved himself a lot of trouble by not calling your pre-flop raise out of position.

Flop: I think your re-raise is fine because you were the aggressor pre-flop and have a very strong draw. But, when on a draw you should be happy to take this pot right here, so your re-raise should be more. You should rarely be min-raising/betting... I would have 3x his bet. To put it in context, your raise is 120 into a 480 pot...what's he folding?

Turn: Well you could just take a free card here, but your draw is probably strong enough to stand a re-raise, so raising is fine as well. However, again your bet is way to small. There is 720 in the pot, at this point with this weak bet, I would have you on a draw and would push my KQ. I want to take this pot here so I'm betting at least 1/2 pot, but more likely pot sized.

River: You have the nuts, he's shown he likes his hand. Bet more, half pot or greater.