Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Comparing WLLH 3rd edition to 2nd edition

To be fair, in the GSIH chart I recommend playing QJs, 88, and 77 up front and folding A9s and JTs. Obviously in SSH I recommend playing all of those hands.

I nixed two hands, A9s and JTs, that are probably somewhat profitable even for a beginner. I did it because I wanted to exaggerate to a beginner that you have to play super-tightly up front.

So, in other words, if WLLH is specifically targetted for beginners and not for loose games, then I'm not too concerned that he has you folding a few too many hands up front.

Having said that, I've discussed UTG play with Barry before, and he recommends some folds that I think are clearly at odds with what the Pokerroom stats suggest.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, in other words, if WLLH is specifically targeted for beginners and not for loose games, then I'm not too concerned that he has you folding a few too many hands up front.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be even more fair, in the text he does say "if the game is loose and passive (4-5 see the flop for 1 bet), you can shade these requirements down a little with your suited hands and (even more so) your pocket pairs. In fact, if you expect 5-6 players to see the flop, you can call with any pocket pair even if it's going to cost you multiple bets."

So, ATs, KTs, QJs and middle pairs are OK in loose passive games for beginners. And any pair in no foldem games.

I can live with that. Still think that QTs, JTs and A9s are playable in loose passive low limit games, however.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can live with that. Still think that QTs, JTs and A9s are playable in loose passive low limit games, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

They definitely are.