Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Ask WiteKnite a cooking question

[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to lose some weight. Can you think of any good recipes for that? I think some chicked recipes would fit the bill just fine maybe lean steak though..... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost 35 pounds in a couple months after cutting out most carbs. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning. Lots of steak, pork, and chicken. I have since then put some weight back on, but that was after starting in on the pasta, bread, and sweets again. If you are still looking at the low fat method, I'll see if I can come up with some ideas for you.

WiteKnite
Old 03-24-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What can you do to stop nachos from going soggy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy. Stack the nachos-chips to the side of the baking dish you're using so they protrude the filling. This way, only the lower parts of the innermost circle/square of nachos get soggy.

Oh, and always add Jalapenos/Sambal Oelek..
Old 03-24-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No crock-pot, and I'm not a soup/stew/chili guy anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then pasta it is. I recomend Barilla brand pasta and sauces if you can find them. It's an old family company from Italy with some great products. Make pasta, heat sauce, strain pasta, add back to empty pot, add sauce. If you want to add a little something, you can throw some sliced itallian sausages in there. Also you can brown some lean ground beef in a pan and then add the sauce to it. It's a good and quick meat sauce. That should give you a good 4-6 meals.

WiteKnite
Old 03-24-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then pasta it is. I recomend Barilla brand pasta and sauces if you can find them. It's an old family company from Italy with some great products. Make pasta, heat sauce, strain pasta, add back to empty pot, add sauce. If you want to add a little something, you can throw some sliced itallian sausages in there. Also you can brown some lean ground beef in a pan and then add the sauce to it. It's a good and quick meat sauce. That should give you a good 4-6 meals.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Best method of storage?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Best method of storage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get some of those cheap zip lock storage containers at the store and separate out meal sized portions.

WiteKnite
Old 03-24-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to lose some weight. Can you think of any good recipes for that? I think some chicked recipes would fit the bill just fine maybe lean steak though..... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost 35 pounds in a couple months after cutting out most carbs. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning. Lots of steak, pork, and chicken. I have since then put some weight back on, but that was after starting in on the pasta, bread, and sweets again. If you are still looking at the low fat method, I'll see if I can come up with some ideas for you.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes low fat would be nice. Low carb diets are generally considered unhealthy. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are some fast, easy, healthy ways to prepare chicken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define healthy. Low fat, low cal., or low carb?

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Low cal please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Low cal chicken, huh? Marinades will be your friend then, since a lot of sauces are heavy on the fat/sugar. Stubb's brand has a great chicken marinade. Also a good tuscan one is to combine fresh lemon juice with garlic and rosemary. You will need to add some olive oil to get the marinade to thicken, but if you go easy it shouldn't be bad. As a general marinade tip, if it doesn't have salt in it, be sure to salt the meat before cooking.

A good crock pot chicken recipe it to take a few chicken breasts and add a sliced onion, chopped jalapeno, a bay leaf, a jar or green or red salsa and tsp of chicken bullion granuals.

Hope this helps.

WiteKnite
Old 03-24-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I hate leftovers. We end up wasting a lot of food, and therefore money, because we throw it away. Any tips to breathe new life into leftovers without feeling like you're eating the same thing as the night before? Too general of a question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can field this one. It costs money, but is WELL worth it if you have the room.

Get a large, separate freezer. If you have a huge freezer in your refrigerator, you may not want to, but at any rate, having a really big freezer adds a lot to your enjoyment of eating.

First, you can buy lots of good meat when it's on sale. Second, you can cook in big batches and save food and money that way. Do this with enough different foods and you can get quite a nice variety of very tasty, wholesome food going, and rarely waste a thing.

I come from a big family, and this is what my folks did. They got one of those chest-style freezers and filled it with home-made spaghetti sauce, chili, soups and stews, turkey, all kinds of stuff. Then when we kids were hungry(there were 9 of us so somebody was always hungry), we could have anything from a small helping of any number of good things to a complete hot meal just by microing something from the freezer.

If you do that, you'll enjoy making extra rather than worrying you will be forced to throw it away or eat it tomorrow. I suppose a little plus is you won't feel like you "have to clean your plate" so you aren't wasteful when you cook, which could be a help for some people in keeping their weight under control.

Anyway, even with the cost of buying an extra freezer and running it, or an especially big fridge/freezer combo, I think this kind of cooking/saving food pays for itself surprisingly quickly, plus makes you eat much healthier, which is a bonus that goes beyond money, and makes eating much more fun and convenient. Eating out is expensive and often unhealthy, throwing food away is expensive, and nobody wants to cook everyday -- but you can still eat as if you did!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Best method of storage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get some of those cheap zip lock storage containers at the store and separate out meal sized portions.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a note on the zip lock freezer bags. I have tried a couple of brands and I'd say about a third of them or better have opened in the freezer, giving the contents freezer burn of course. I always let stuff cool before putting it in the freezer, too, so it's not because of the bags expanding or contracting too much because of sudden too drastic temperature changes. They just don't seal that well.

Others may be luckier, but to me, I now regard those bags as a great way to lose good food.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Best method of storage?

[/ QUOTE ]

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a note on the zip lock freezer bags. I have tried a couple of brands and I'd say about a third of them or better have opened in the freezer, giving the contents freezer burn of course. I always let stuff cool before putting it in the freezer, too, so it's not because of the bags expanding or contracting too much because of sudden too drastic temperature changes. They just don't seal that well.

Others may be luckier, but to me, I now regard those bags as a great way to lose good food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not suer if you know this, but I was referring to those tupperware-esque containers that zip-lock has now. They well enough and are cheap. This is good since tomato sauce stains storage containers almost immediatly.

When I am storing raw meat in a freezer, I wrap it in plastic wrap, then in alumium foil. This keeps things quite well.

WiteKnite