Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 04:34 PM

Default ICM help.

Hi all,

I've been seeing a lot of mention of ICM lately, Im truely intrigued. I have been playing around with SNGPT, and all I have to say is wow! I've found and read-reread the tutorial by deathgrind about the ICM calculations. I was hoping though, someone could give me a bit more information.

How would one use it to determine if calling a less-than-all-in raise cold? You could imagine a scenario where you are placed in a position where you are facing a raise, and you can't run that trhough sngpt, so how do you guys learn about which raises to call/reraise/fold when you are doing your post-analysis....

thanks again!

freak
Old 03-24-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: ICM help.

SNGPT uses ICM at its core.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:52 PM

If you're talking about post-flop play, well, that's real poker, and I hear that's much harder to learn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2006, 05:06 PM

To properly calculate this you have to get evwerything in preflop - you can't really include postflop in any of these calculations.

So, run this through SNGPT and just assume he pushed all-in. Next, try to guess what percentage of the time he would fold to an all-in reraise from you. If it is 0% then your work here is done. If not then you have more to do.

If the answer is say 20% then take your $ev from the SNGPT calculation and multiply by 0.8 and then take your ev (using manual calculations) from him folding to your re-raise and multiply that by 0.2

Then, add them together and compare vs your fold ev from the original SNGPT calculation.

rvg
Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 PM

ICM is a way of evaluating the $ value of a stack of tournament chips. SNGPT is a great tool for making calculations for all-in situations, since this is simply a math problem. ICM can't teach you to play deepstack poker. There are too many variables involved.