Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 PM

Default Reraised with JJ post-flop

Had around 6000 chips (about equal with two other players whom with me were the chip leaders at a 10-handed table). 70 something players were left and 51 would get paid. Average stack was a little over 4000. With the blinds on 125 - 250 and 3 limpers I raised to 2000 from the seat right before the button. The player in front of me (one of the others with about 6000), who had played pretty aggressive earlier, called. The flop came 3 9 T with 2 spades. He checked and I bet 2000. After some hesitation he reraised me all in. Did I play it right untill then and what to do now?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Reraised with JJ post-flop

I think your pre-flop raise was too big...even a big raise of 4-5x the BB would have been fine ~1000-1200.

Once you've raised this much, been called, and then bet 2k again on the flop - you pretty much have been priced in. The villan would make this play w/ any 10 or flush draw.

If you had bet less pre-flop, you might have been able to get away from this hand, but as you played it, call the allin - you're prob ahead.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:02 AM

Your pf raise is way to big raise to like 1200 but 2000 is ridiculous once you hit that flop you should just shove however as played instacall when he shoves your getting like 8 to 1 on your call and your beating everything but a set and QQ+ never ever fold that flop with your stacks like this.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:05 AM

Do not raise 1/3 of your stack. If you are making a CB on the flop - you'll have to call any re-raise. Just push it all-in.

This hand - depending on my reads - I may elect to limp behind 3 limpers and play for set value.
An aggressive player calls off 1/3 of his stack out-of-position - what range do you put him on?

Flop - you are betting 2k into a pot with approx. 5K having 2k left behind. If the villain pushes - you'll be getting 4.5:1 and you really can't fold here. Might as well push the flop.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're prob behind, but you have Jacks and running outs to a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP...
Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 AM

Afterwards I see that the preflop raise was too big. The thing is that people seemed to play quite loose and what I really wanted to do was to commit one of the shortstacks who had limped. However, JJ is one of the hands I find hardest to play no matter my position. Too often I end up playing it in an idiotic way just to avoid taking any decisions... The result was that I called the all in, mostly afraid of overcards with a flushdraw and got to see AQ without a flushdraw hitting the Q on the turn. Prolly should have moved in instantly after the flop since I pretty much committed myself.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 AM

I agree with the raise to 1200 line preflop. As played, I call and expect to see a flush draw with a T or 9. He might have hit his set, but that's poker.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The result was that I called the all in, mostly afraid of overcards with a flushdraw and got to see AQ without a flushdraw hitting the Q on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take solace in the fact that the villain played the hand WORSE than you.

[ QUOTE ]
Prolly should have moved in instantly after the flop since I pretty much committed myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And clap your hands in glee when called by AQ.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 AM

Yes, the way you played it, I like pushing that flop.