Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Whats the strategy...?

Hello,
I play a lot of heads up poker and have run into this situation maybe 2 or 3 times. I usually stick to $20-$100 heads up sit n gos but have wondered on to play heads up cash games. I was recently playing a $10-$20 fixed limit table on Paradise Poker 1 on 1. This player would raise with any hand from the button and would bet no matter what the flop, turn, and river was. Also, was not scared to reraise if I showed strengh. So the question is...how do I play against somebody like this who keeps raising and raising. I made a few call downs with Ace highs and King highs to see whats up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone. I had left up $650 and we played 164 hands per hour.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Whats the strategy...?

There is are some great essays on how to combat this style of player in HPFAP, pages 185-188. Essentially slow down, let him do the work, only raise your premium hands, and occasionally don't raise a premium hand at all. Also lead the flop relentlessly at times, and at other times raise the turn (with as little as A high if he folds to the turn raise easily).

caveat - I am semi-new to HU play... I'm just a good study.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2006, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Whats the strategy...?

I slow down and get to showdown more for the most part. I also avoid making "big folds". Most of these players do not fold easily so you must value bet when you do have something and pay off raises in spots where you normally wouldnt. These opponents are very tough HU because they pick up alot of pots where both players miss, and some will put in multiple raises if you play back to pick up these types of pots. I just finished a session with this type of player and it felt like he was constantly willing to come over the top of me.

A good example is lets say I raise or even cap the turn on a bluff or semi-bluff b/c I think hes bluffing. I also plan on following through with a river bet. He then donks the river. Im pretty sure hes bluffing but at the same time I feel I cant call the river bet.

Hope this helps. Im also a semi-new to HU but have good success with limits up to 10/20 playing almost everyday for the last few months.