Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 09:08 PM

Default fantasy baseball 12 teams Saves question

How many closers do you usually pick up to be in a competitve league... In the years past i usually trade all my closers for bats and have barely made it into the money.... Only one time i actually came in first by using this strategy.

any thoughts about this?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Re: fantasy baseball 12 teams Saves question

I usually take 2-3 closers. There are 30 closers divided by 12 teams so on average each team will have 2.5 closers. Closers should usually go between rounds 7 and 15. Don't overbid but try to get 1-3 closers to ensure you will get points in that category. This is assuming 5x5 and jmho.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 PM

My strategy is to pick an elite closer and a mid-tier closer. Probably 5 - 7 current closers won't have their job by the all-star break, so I usually look for a third during the season on the waiver wire.

Depending on your roster size, I sometimes pick up quality set-up guys who are followed by weak closers, in hope that they pick up their job. I got Huston Street this way last year, and Lidge two years ago.

I would never draft 1 closer. Either be competitive or don't get any at all.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:23 AM

Closer is a good position to GAMBOOL! Make sure you have at least one good one to start. Overall, you can pick up saves anytime during the season. The closers that have value are the ones with high K's and low ERA and WHIP. Those guys are worth their weight in gold. After the top 14-15 are off the board, there is no need to draft a closer. If you have reserves you are better off taking a chance on a dominant set up guy and hoping he can take over the closers role at some point.

Bottom line, figure out the value based on your scoring system of all the players. There is no need to overpay, or pay a superstar premium for a closer. If you can get one or two of the top 15 for value, jump at it. Otherwise, just manage your team and make sure you don't finish last in saves.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:23 PM

The year I won it all was a year in which I had two solid closers. You don't realize how much top guys will help you in ERA, WHIP and Ks. Saves themselves are actually just the gravy.

A good strategy would be to get a top 4 closer, and then a mid tier guy with a ton of potential, and 1-2 more guys at the bottom end of the spectrum that also have potential, just throwing out who your fourth closer should be - a guy like Joey Devine. Maybe make him the last pick of the draft.

Punting a category like saves means you are punting other important categories and will not lead you to a championship.

Good luck.