Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 06:21 PM

Default The Only Three Questions That Matter

I think we can all agree on this:

Whether God created the universe is a question that by itself is important only for the intellectually curious.

What is important to know is

1. Is there a God that will intervene in your life based on what you or others do, say, or, feel? In other words can charitable actions, prayers, or espousing beliefs, cause an omnipotent God to change things in a way he would not have already done.

2. Is there a possibility of life after death and is there a God who will decide whether that happens to you and in what manner, based on what you do, say or feel.

3. Is there a possibility that there is an afterlife of some sort even if God doesn't exist, and if so can it be altered by what you do, say or feel?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: The Only Three Questions That Matter

sure no problem there but what happens if one of the answers is yes
Old 07-11-2005, 06:25 PM

You missed me by a mile. My 3 most important questions are:

1. Where shall we go for lunch?
2. Where can I take a leak?
3. Where do I sleep?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:51 PM

I have beliefs regarding those questions so they are no longer terribly interesting for me...

My big issue is what my kids will turn out like when they grow up...will they become identityless drones who just take their roles in society and blindly run through the maze looking for cheese or will at least one or two of them achieve autonomy and develop a character that I can be proud of!? I will feel my life had meaning if and only if it's the latter.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:04 PM

Define "me".
Old 07-11-2005, 07:09 PM

I don't think it's important to know -- but is important to be comfortable with --

1. No.
2. Yes/No
3. Yes/No
Old 07-11-2005, 08:05 PM

1.) Is there a God that will intervene in your life based on what you or others do, say, or, feel? In other words can charitable actions, prayers, or espousing beliefs, cause an omnipotent God to change things in a way he would not have already done.

No. The reward for charitable actions and prayer/meditation/etc are entirely intrinsic.

2.) Is there a possibility of life after death and is there a God who will decide whether that happens to you and in what manner, based on what you do, say or feel.

Highly unlikely. Thousands, if not millions, of people die everyday, for 365 days a year. Given that most people really don't live terribly interesting or unique lives, I imagine "God" would grow terribly bored of making these value judgements after the first three or four years.

3.) Is there a possibility that there is an afterlife of some sort even if God doesn't exist, and if so can it be altered by what you do, say or feel?

Possible.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 PM

Default I would add a fourth

If there is an afterlife, with or without God, and your place in it can be altered by what you do, say, or feel, how do we go about making inferences as to how various actions, statements, and feelings affect where we end up?

What this question points to is a basic conundrum that seems to have often been ignored in some of these threads (which I have only read sporadically): If you don't believe that God intervenes in human affairs, then why would accordance with a humanly devised system of ethics necessarily be judged approvingly when the time comes?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 PM

Sklansky, you have shown yourself to be the poster most obsessed with God on this entire forum.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 PM

1. There is ample evidence that belief in and prayer to a Loving God can produce profound changes in a person's attitude, perspective, and experience of life.

2. There is ample evidence that belief in a Loving God brings comfort to people who trust he will take care of them after death.

3. It may be that Eternal Life consists of this moment, in which case it certainly can be altered by what we do, say, and feel.

Entering the forest he moves not the grass;
Entering the water he makes not a ripple.

PairTheBoard