Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Rakefree - would you deposit there??

I did a search for this and didn't come up with much. For those who have heard about the site that Dutch Boyd is trying to start without a rake (rakefree.com)....what are your thoughts on this? Obviously there is the fact that his previous venture failed and lots of poker players never got their money (which is very bad). On the other hand, if there was really a site that was rakefree that would be very appealing financially considering the millions that these sites rake in from something that costs very little(which would be very good).

What are people's thoughts on this?? Would you deposit there because of the benefits or would you stick with the major sites where you feel like your money is more safe?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Rakefree - would you deposit there??

No rake free site has ever succeeded. Wait until one does (maybe never) before depositing.

I believe there's a way for a rake free site to succeed, but no one has figured it out so far: they just need to make it free (really free: no membership fee) until such time as they have enough traffic to charge a membership fee.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:28 PM

I just played a freeroll tourney at CardCrusade, (there's another one later, tonight), because I support the idea of a rake free site. (Who doesn't? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

However, their software is so incredibly bad I can hardly believe that they are even trying to entice players to their site.

They must have poured so much money down the drain, I'm starting to think it's a new ploy thought up by Party's Support to give them a laugh at coffee break.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:38 PM

I wouldn't mind a rakefree site, or even a 90% rake free site.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:10 PM

Waiting until people were so stupid they could no longer use the search function before attempting to steal money off them again is a masterstroke.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just played a freeroll tourney at CardCrusade, (there's another one later, tonight), because I support the idea of a rake free site. (Who doesn't? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

However, their software is so incredibly bad I can hardly believe that they are even trying to entice players to their site.

They must have poured so much money down the drain, I'm starting to think it's a new ploy thought up by Party's Support to give them a laugh at coffee break.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there isnt any way to get off their spam list it seems either.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:19 PM

I would play once it got up and running. Even if it was TINY!!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 PM

Maybe put banner ads on the tables and then give players the option to pay a membership fee to remove them.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 AM

I think the approach that BetZip is doing has the best chance to succeed in the current marketplace. They charge a small monthly fee that allows their members to play in tournaments with prize money at no cost to enter.

I assume they can take in enough in monthly fees to offset what they pay out in tournies, plus have enough to cover their costs and profit margins.

This is a good test to see if a site can make a go without charging rakes. Although it's only for tourneys, it's still a good low cost approach for the beginning players to start with. Knowing it's only going to cost you fifty cents a day to play several tournaments a day, with possible returns in the hundreds and thousands on any given tourney is a smart way to go at low risk for the beginner.

I don't think anyone can go broke or have economic problems this way. The wife won't mind the low cost recreation I'm sure. Plus, with this platform, I don't believe it will be considered illegal in the U.S. regardless of what new legislation is passed. It's basically a fantasy poker league with cash prizes, and the new legislation seems to allow it.

Theres a long way to go with this site, but it has potential. I don't play it myself because the time involved for the money to be won didn't seem to be worth it to me. But for many, it definately could be worth their time. Just depends where you are at in poker.