Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Re: top set on monotone flop vs AceHiStation

ok dont raise the river. but raise the flop and the turn.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How are you not finding a raise on every single street of action?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Results

It looks like everyone wants to go to the felt for 140 BBs.

I often would raise here on flop or turn, but the action on this hand was so strange that I didn't want to commit a lot of chips to the pot. I had a lot of trouble putting Ace on a hand but felt a flush was very possible.

I hated the river bet and thought about folding. I already explained my reason for not raising that street.

Ace showed down the nuts, AsTs. He looked up the hand history and, surprised, said I played the hand well. I asked him, but he denied any sarcasm. Maybe he was trying to keep the fish happy?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Results

FWIW, if I somehow had QQ no spade in that spot, I would have been much happier about raising flop or turn.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 PM

obviously. but against someone like AHS, you should be pretty happy getting all in here on flop or turn. You'll be ahead a lot, and you have tons of outs when you're behind. and you should consider re-raising preflop. 140bb is pretty much perfect stacks for re-raising preflop in position like this. You put stackage pressure on him, but don't take it on yourself.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:43 PM

felson,

shooting from the hip:

sets on a monotone board are a big problem because all opponents have serious bluff equity against you, and they are likely to semibluff. it is probably the most dangerous of all flops, because it is not possible with straight draws to have the unique nut draw against a made hand; whereas with flush draws if you hold the top remaining card, you are drawing to the solitary nuts against any made hand.

monotone flops radically increase the likelihood of bluffs and big bets. if your opponent(s) are aggressive, you have the serious problem that if you raise on any street they can get your money in the middle with their flush or easily bluff you off your hand - both of which are very bad.

therefore, i have no problem with emphasizing pot control. therefore, i think yours is a reasonable conservative line, especially if the opponent is likely to bluff the river with a busted draw (or bet with a lesser made hand). the one caveat is that flop bet was so small. i might raise medium on the flop, but only if i am comfortable with the ensuing lines: if opponent is likely to reraise back, i have to know whether i am calling flop / folding turn, or reraising / shoving, or calling down. if it's a hard decision, just calling is reasonable.

on the river, he's bluffing or he has it. tight river players get a fold from me unless they are skilled aggressive. random players get a call.

monotone boards suck. they make bad opponents force a high-variance game on you, which is inherently bad for you when you have a significant average advantage.

[aside to prior poster: note that if both your opponents have flush draws, it does not matter whether you blow out one of them.]
Old 03-22-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously. but against someone like AHS, you should be pretty happy getting all in here on flop or turn. You'll be ahead a lot, and you have tons of outs when you're behind. and you should consider re-raising preflop. 140bb is pretty much perfect stacks for re-raising preflop in position like this. You put stackage pressure on him, but don't take it on yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this hand fairly well. Looking back I forgot about the flop action. I typically raise big here, but wanted to give "Hero" a chance to pop it up and mix up my play a little bit. I wasn't sarcastic when I said well played... but it was more results oriented thinking than anything. I was just bummed that I didn't get his entire stack I think. Gotta raise that flop up bigtime felson, can't let a monkey draw to the spades for $8. Raise it up big, worst case scenario you get allin against a very loose opponent and at worst you have decent fillup outs.
-Ace