Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Slowplay of trips after calling a pre-flop raise

I'm not a fan of slowplaying, but in this case, I did. Something doesn't seem right to me though; I think I could have played this better. Please comment.

As for the read on Villian, I didn't have a good read at the time, but I'd charactarize him as loose, but neither overly passive nor overly aggressive (yes, that's fairly vague).

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Slowplay of trips after calling a pre-flop raise

I hope you lost to a flush. That will learn you to slowplay.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you lost to a flush. That will learn you to slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]A straight would work as well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I would agree though...you definitely don't want to slowplay on a semi-coordinated/coordinated board because giving the free card can cause you to lose the hand.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:16 PM

Preflop-I usually Fold, some people might raise, but I think calling is the least correct.

Flop/Turn-Don't slowplay
Old 03-22-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of slowplaying, but ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Helfen Sie der micros
Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Raise PF
Don't slowplay. You will probably get action if you lead out, but its the right decision even if he folds on the flop. Read Dyson's post about what not to do, titled "Guys". Bet your good hands. This is not a situation to get tricky.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 PM

bad decision to slowplay.
preflop: It's purely a matter of taste if you are in.
flop: i check-raise hoping to throw in as many bets as possible and lead out the turn
turn: time to raise.
river: no clue what button holds. i would have played it the same.

i have learned to throw in as many bets as possible when im ahead. here its possible you have put in the most when you were behind.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM

No, I didn't lose to a flush. Somehow I think I overlooked the flush potential on the flop during the actual hand though. Been a long time since I made that newbie mistake.

Looking back it it now, I would not have slowplayed. But here's a question, does anyone think it might be better to wait 'til the turn to raise? I'm thinking not, but my concern is that a raise on the flop will simply get called, and then Villain will check on the turn and call my turn bet....which puts me right back where I was.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:20 PM

*Grunch*

So many things wrong here. First, I'd fold this preflop, although I may be in the minority here - the risk of being dominated is too great. As is, (almost) never coldcall a PFR - either reraise or fold. Next, I wouldn't slowplay this hand because of the two-flush on the flop. It's very possible Villain has AKs and slowplaying just lets him see more cards to complete his flush cheaply. He's already showed aggression, so I reraise the flop. As played, however, you're definitely missing bets by not check-raising the turn. The Villain's aggression on the river proves you played this poorly as he either hit his flush (as a result of your slowplay) or he has a made hand that you could have extracted more bets from with aggression on the flop and turn.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I didn't lose to a flush. Somehow I think I overlooked the flush potential on the flop during the actual hand though. Been a long time since I made that newbie mistake.

Looking back it it now, I would not have slowplayed. But here's a question, does anyone think it might be better to wait 'til the turn to raise? I'm thinking not, but my concern is that a raise on the flop will simply get called, and then Villain will check on the turn and call my turn bet....which puts me right back where I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly think the best way to play this is to just lead the flop, and hope to get a bunch of action from AA-JJ, while it allow you to get the same number of bets from a hand like AK, which will typcially sall the flop and turn and maybe river. I also don't mind a flop c/r to trap other people for bets.