Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Frustrated at NL10

Get rakeback set up.

- Is it essential that i purchase tools like Poker Tracker or PaHUD at this point?

It's not essential, but you could buy them with your winnings right now. I like the last poster's idea of heading to Stars, playing .01/.02 games. Set rakeback up when you join, buy the software, and work at it for a while.

- In an attempt to become more positionally aware i have been raising a MUCH wider range of hands from the btn and CO position when folded to me(any two suited, Qx, Kx, Ax, connectors, one gap connectors down to 6-4, usually a little narrower from CO). Is this range too wide? Should i not be trying to make so many steals at these low of limits? After one C-bet post flop should i be shutting down?

I've found that playing this type of positionally aware poker can be profitable, but it greatly increases variance. While building your bankroll, you might want to only be aggressive like this while you're sitting at a table with perfect conditions to do so.

- Is it profitable at 10NL to occasionally be playing draws aggressively? Are most players at 10NL not actively thinking enough for this to be +ev?

I don't, but I'm a nit. Sometimes I'll feel like gambling. Just be sure you'll get paid off with a big pot if you're drawing to a hand. If it's a small pot with one other person, why call a pot-sized bet on the flop with a flush draw?

- What is the best way to build confidence during such a significant downswing?

Smaller stakes is what does it for me. Make sure the buyins are relatively insignificant to your bankroll, and then focus on playing solid, consistent poker. This will enable you to play tons of hands- track your play and you'll eventually have a profitable sample. It will also reinforce the fact that you're looking to be a long-term profitable player.

- Should i just be playing straight ABC at this point and only altering my play style when i move up?

I think it's the best bet, but again, you'll find situations that are ripe for tricky plays, so don't stop thinking about every street. I play ABC poker, but if I smell weakness, I'll sometimes take a stab at the pot. Playing most of the time as a tight player gives you a table image that you can exploit during key situations.

- What is the best advice to someone who wants to be a winning player in the micro limits?

Patience! Wait for it. How often do you think people double their bankrolls? You increase your bankroll by 50%, and it doesn't seem like a huge accomplishment. It is, though. If you really want to develop a style that will win in the long term, you have to realize that it will be a long slow bankroll grind that dips sometimes, but will always get bigger eventually. Yeah, post lots of hands, analyze results, yada yada. If you can't manage your expectations, though, you won't be able to manage a bankroll. Everyone who goes busto does so because they couldn't win fast enough.

Good luck =D