Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller has made 4 poker DVDs?

I ordered the box set as soon as I saw it was available. I have never been so giddy about DVD's before.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller DVDs through ConJelCo and Two Plus Two

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ed's DVDs will be available through this site and also through ConJelCo's site later this weekend. We should be able to ship early in the coming week.

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post a link?

I browsed all through your on-line store, but didn't find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the bottom of the column to the left, under the list of forums, click on "Books by Others". The list is in alpha order by title, and the DVDs all start with the word "Expert".
Old 03-21-2006, 05:33 PM

ripping a dvd takes 2 hrs. So placed as a buyable download or not has no bearing whatsoever and could concievably increase their profit margin
Old 03-21-2006, 06:46 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
ripping a dvd takes 2 hrs. So placed as a buyable download or not has no bearing whatsoever and could concievably increase their profit margin

[/ QUOTE ]

It adds a step or to and that makes all the difference in the world. If I download it then I can immediately upload it to a shared server, that doesn't take much effort. If I have to buy the DVD's. wait for them to arrive, rip them at 2 hours each, 8 hours for the set using your numbers, then upload them, that is a lot more trouble and I am less likely to do it.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ripping a dvd takes 2 hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you're rollin' with but it takes me less than 20 minutes. I mean... if I did rip them... that's how long it would take.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:05 PM

Are these shipping from 2+2 yet?

I had to put off ordering until tomorrow. Was just wondering when they'll ship.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:44 PM

I ordered mine from Conjelco Monday night (20th) and recieved it today (Wed. 22). That was a lot faster than I thought. I got the "reading hands" DVD because this is really a weak spot of mine.

Anyway, the content is pretty good. I found it helpful but I wasn't really "blown away". The production quality reminds me of film school. It's got a low-budget, student film type feel to it. The audio is a little hollow. Ed's voice is higher than I'd imagined! It runs about 55 minutes and seems to focus on limit play. I would have felt better spending $15-$20 vs. $25 for it because I feel the content, while good, is sparse. Anyway, if I had to give it a grade I'd give it a B-. The concepts were good but, like I said, the production was on the low end and there could have been more content.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 PM

Mine are on their way. Does anyone else have a review?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mine are on their way. Does anyone else have a review?

[/ QUOTE ]
I got the 4 DVD set and just watched the Hand Reading DVD. If the other DVDs are as good, they will have been well worth the price for me (a somewhat experienced, moderate winner in small stakes online games). The selection of topics and examples are great because they are fairly common situations that nevertheless tend to confuse me during the heat of battle. In my opinion there is enough value here to be interesting to anyone below expert level.

It is true that much of the material will not be new to 2+2 regulars and those who have read Ed's books. However, the DVD gives it a different emphasis-- it feels like Ed is giving me a pep talk as much as providing useful instruction. Contrary to what I expected given Ed's earlier post in this thread, it was NOT much like sitting in a university lecture. (It seems to me that the number of universities is a strong argument for there being some reason for their popularity OTHER than the style of instruction.) In any case, I thought Ed did a great job. His delivery is low key, friendly, and conversational-- somewhat reminiscent of NPR's Ira Glass (this is a compliment). His voice even sounds a little like Ira's.

Some of the visual effects (like Ed's head/shoulders hovering over the table) were a little cheesy. The graphics used for the hand examples are a bit small, but clear and effective. These work better than the Lederer's choice to deal real cards at a real table in their DVDs (though maybe I'd feel differently if I were primarily a live game player). As mentioned by others, the lighting on Ed was poor. Also, this was clearly done before the makeover. Have the Queer Eye guys got a hold of him yet?

I may post further thoughts later.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the content is pretty good. I found it helpful but I wasn't really "blown away". The production quality reminds me of film school. It's got a low-budget, student film type feel to it. The audio is a little hollow. Ed's voice is higher than I'd imagined! It runs about 55 minutes and seems to focus on limit play. I would have felt better spending $15-$20 vs. $25 for it because I feel the content, while good, is sparse. Anyway, if I had to give it a grade I'd give it a B-. The concepts were good but, like I said, the production was on the low end and there could have been more content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday, I got the 4 DVD set in the mail. I couldn't agree anymore. Rob's review is exactly how I would have described it. So far, I have only watched the Reading Hands and Adjusting your play DVDs. Unless the Advanced Preflop concepts and Protecting your hands DVDs are different, which I doubt, I still would agree with Rob and give it a B-. I wish there was a little more content and better audio and video.