Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Preflop call in NL?

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the great response, appreciate the explaination. I did lose you at one point:

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously bluffing is not advisable

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm previously a low stakes limit player, could you explain, in detail what a bluff is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we're obviously not going to win at showdown w/ 43s unimproved. One of the nicer things about NL, however, is that showing down premium hands isn't nearly as important as it is in a limit game. That said, obviously table conditions vary by game and at lower stakes (typically below around 25NL) people won't necessarily consider the motivation behind bet-sizing so "bluffing" in general might be more difficult at this level. In other words people won't often say, "hmm...that looks like a valuebet, I'm probably beat a lot of the time here so I think I'll fold," rather they'd say, "well, I think I'm beat but it's only $5, so what have I got to lose."

Specifically bluffing just means betting and getting someone with a better hand to fold (or, in Sklansky-speak, forcing someone to act differently than he would if he could see your cards). In this particular hand (I obviously don't know any of the action) it would probably look like having something like a flush draw or a straight draw that doesn't come in (or just bottom pair) and representing something stronger to induce a fold. And the trick is to sort of represent something all along so that you're not just making a suspicious desperate looking bet on the river to represent a flopped set or something. You have to make your final bet look coherent.

Anyway, against a lot of opponents, particularly at 10NL this might be kinda tough and it's definitely something you should only use sparingly.