Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Abstract question about wins and losses

I don't know if this is directly related to short-handed play, but I think opinions might vary between ring players, sit-n-go pros and six-max players, so I am posting it here.

This is not a particularly important issue, more a matter of curiousity.

The question is, what is the "starting point" you use to determine a win or loss for a day/week/session. Do you count from the beginning of the week, the beginning of the day or maybe your high point for the day? Examples:

Let's say you play two sessions and are +5BB and +10BB then you take a few hours off and play another session, going -25BB. Do you think of that as a 25BB slide or do you pad it with your earlier 15BB win and consider it a 10BB loss? What if a week passes between your 15BB win and your 25BB loss?

What about over the course of the week? If you play Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and win 60BB altogether then you take a day off and lose 100BB total on Friday and Saturday, do you feel like you lost 40BB or do you feel like you lost 100BB?

On the flipside, if you lose 20BB then win 35BB over a couple of sessions, do you feel like you won 35BB or only the 15BB difference between your starting point (before the 20BB loss) and the peak of your 35BB win.

Obviously, the results will smooth out over weeks and months. I'm not interested in a discussion of "the long run", just the scenarios above.

SpaceAce
Old 03-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Abstract question about wins and losses

Start at your Date of Birth. Go from there.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 AM

I always think from the highest point my roll was at (before this session), because when I have an upswing thats money won by skilled play but when i have a downswing thats varience [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Kai
Old 03-21-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always think from the highest point my roll was at (before this session), because when I have an upswing thats money won by skilled play but when i have a downswing thats varience [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Kai

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is actually pretty close to the way a lot of players do their accounting.

SpaceAce