Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Re: I met a girl last night, she is a high school senior

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your school's system at all. There's already the prom king and prom queen for that, not to mention the entirety of the rest of high school. Your school's system basically makes the distinction of being valedictorian meaningless.

And 80% average is enough to qualify? Not impressive on that front either.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only responsibility of a valedictorian is make a speech at graduation correct? How is getting the best mark a good qualification for that? How is a vote not?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a super bizarre way of looking at what being a valedictorian means. You might as well comment on the importance of her wearing a special hat.

Which basically it seems like you are.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your school's system at all. There's already the prom king and prom queen for that, not to mention the entirety of the rest of high school. Your school's system basically makes the distinction of being valedictorian meaningless.

And 80% average is enough to qualify? Not impressive on that front either.

[/ QUOTE ]

the only responsibility of a valedictorian is make a speech at graduation correct? How is getting the best mark a good qualification for that? How is a vote not?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a super bizarre way of looking at what being a valedictorian means. You might as well comment on the importance of her wearing a special hat.

Which basically it seems like you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

We also voted for our valedictorian, and any other method seems silly to me. Almost every year the person voted in was someone that had made friends with almost everybody in the grade. This generally made the speech more entertaining and more meaningful to the graduating class then what the top marks person would be.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 AM

um, voting for valedictorian seems retarded to me. best grades should get valedictorian, funny speech can come from class president.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um, voting for valedictorian seems retarded to me. best grades should get valedictorian, funny speech can come from class president.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread reminds me of the movie "Election." This girl set a goal and played within the rules to get it. Good for her. Whether this means she is a better student, etc. than the runners' up is irrelevant. She has proven the best at being the valedictorian, and nothing more.

Of course:

We clearly need a playoff. I know the BCS puts the top candidates into contention for valedictiorian and in theory gives us the true valedictorian on paper, but often some of the stronger candidates can be left out.

Getting a "B" or "C" in frehsman year often takes you out of the running, even if you rebound into form your junior or senior year. In other words, rather than scheduling cupcakes classes from lower divisions, some students are penalized for scheduling challenging classes which may give them a lot more education and demand much more performance, even where they only score a "B."
Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
best grades should get valedictorian

[/ QUOTE ]

but whyyyyy?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:51 PM

I always assumed Valedictorian assumed academic superiority so voting on it seems strange. Voting would shaft the quiet students, imo.

If her purpose of being valedictorian is to get into the best college possible she probably played the system wrong as most colleges account for courses taken and have a weighted GPA standards in its admissions policies. If she's going for personal glory I guess she got there in her eyes.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voting would shaft the quiet students, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

And give the advantage to the ones that are likely to make a good speech? k i'll stop now
Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Voting would shaft the quiet students, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

And give the advantage to the ones that are likely to make a good speech? k i'll stop now

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure whether you ever got started.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but whyyyyy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that's what it is. If you want to make some other title/reward in addition to or intead of valedictorian, feel free.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but whyyyyy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that's what it is. If you want to make some other title/reward in addition to or intead of valedictorian, feel free.

[/ QUOTE ]

untrue, that is how it is typically/traditionally done, but many other methods are used, and the word valedictorian in origin, refers to the person making the valedictory address, nothing else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valedictorian