Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Why I Hate Missouri -- You Should Too

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And, don't even get me started on their cokehead former coach, Quinn Snyder. Or how they named their basketball arena after a 20-something girl who never attended their university or did anything of note (besides cheat through college leading Missouri to rename the arena).

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of cheating:

For being found guilty of academic fraud and other violations, football loses three scholarships per signing class for each of the next two years. The 25-scholarship maximum for most football programs is just 22 for Kansas until 2009.

KU athletics: providing answers to correspondence course tests since 2001.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, are you kidding me??

Remind everyone why your arena was renamed... go ahead.

Oh, and remember when Ricky Clemons took 24 credit hours in summer school. The guy that choked his girlfriend because she wouldn't watch Roots. The guy who violated the terms of his work release to go to a party at the University President's house at which he crashed an ATV and ended up in the hospital. Did Mizzou really think there was any chance that guy taking 24 credits would go unnoticed?

Quin Snyder and Ricky Clemons created more scandal in 3 years than KU has in their entire history.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 PM

We need more rivalry threads like this. This game hasn't had relevance in 40 years, so now it's all coming out. I love it.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 PM

BTW, those of you with a new-found interest in the rivalry might find the all-time series tally in football interesting.

KU Media Guide: 54-52-9

MU Media Guide: 53-53-9

In 1960, Missouri was 9-0 and ranked #1 in the country. Kansas was 6-2-1 with both losses coming to teams that were #1 at the time Kansas played them. The series was tied 30-30-8 at this time.

Of course, Kansas goes on to defeat the Tigers 23-7. A guy named Bert Coan had nine carries in that game which would turn out to be pretty meaningful.

Turns out there was a lot of controversy about this guy's eligibility. MU claimed a KU booster named Bud Adams had provided improper benefits (a plane ride to some place or another). Bud Adams claimed there was no recruiting involved which I guess made it legal at the time.

So, several weeks after the game, officials from each of the 8 Big 8 schools met and addressed the issue. The rules stated that a 3/4 majority (6 teams) was needed to declare him ineligible. Well, the first order or business that day was changing the policy such that only a simple majority was needed. Once that was settled they went on to declare Coan ineligible with a 5-3 vote. Kansas thus had to forfeit the game.

Missouri went on to technically finish 11-0, but the AP essentially denied this claim and ranked them 5th rather than giving them the title.

Due to the Coan ruling Kansas also forfeited a game to Kansas, but Colorado does not claim the win. They state, "Kansas used an ineligible player and that game was later forfeited to Colorado, but all records are computed with the result that took place on the field."

So, bottom line, if you go by what 5/8 of the Big 8 decides in a hotel several weeks later, the series is tied. If you go by the results on the field it's a 2 game edge to Kansas.

Link to the article that I plagiarized a couple of times here.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, bottom line, if you go by what 5/8 of the Big 8 decides in a hotel several weeks later, the series is tied. If you go by the results on the field it's a 2 game edge to Kansas.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that a bit like saying, "Sure KU played with the Patriots OL, but the results on the field are all that mattered!"

Seriously, Mizzou has enough skeletons in the closet to smear them without being intellectually dishonest about it.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 PM

If you want to compare one guy, who was only ineligible due to some shady goings on, rushing 9 times in a 23-7 game to using the entire offensive line from an NFL team then I'm not sure I'm the one who is being intellectually dishonest.

Also, Colorado who has no dog in this fight said exactly what I did about their own loss. Also, did you notice who the AP sided with? I don't think this is at all like what you just tried to make it into.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to compare one guy, who was only ineligible due to some shady goings on

[/ QUOTE ]
I see what you did there.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM

[censored] colorado they dont seem to care much about giving mizzou the 5th down game

bastards
Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] colorado

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2007, 12:03 AM

Wow. I never cared about this rivlary before but all this petty, "Oh yeah...well remember when you did this!!" blah blah blah stuff is starting to convince me that the fans of both of these teams may be some of the stupidest on the planet.

So many of these complaints about how crappy one side or the other supposedly is are so silly that I can't help but laugh at anyone who finds a way to take it so seriously.

Some of the history is interesting...but the bitter tone of "can you believe they did this and changed the rules so horribly way back in 1960?!?! They all suck!!" is just hilariously retarded.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:55 AM

MicroBob is like the John Madden of this thread.