Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: typical spot but not easy answer 11$ 1 rebuy 1 add on

flatting is perfect pf, now just fold to his flop bet.

people are thinking way too much about absolute hand strength (overpair) vs relative hand strength (what you beat in his range, ie nothing). take a look at villain's line so far in the hand. he 4x'd it from fairly early position and makes an almost psb into 2 players. 764 can hit a lot of hands in people's flatting ranges so for him to play his hand like this shows that he really likes his hand and is willing to go with it.

raising this flop "to see where you're at" is super spewy because he basically folds every hand you beat and shoves when he has you crushed, which is like every time. it's doubtful a random villain would play AK/AQ this way, so this leaves pretty much one hand you beat in this spot (88), and that's only if he is willing to put it in with that hand, which he might not. what you beat is such a small percent of his range that both information raising and raising to get it in are terrible.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

it's doubtful a random villain would play AK/AQ this way, so this leaves pretty much one hand you beat in this spot (88), and that's only if he is willing to put it in with that hand, which he might not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think so? I definitely see people playing AK, AQ, etc like this.

I don't really like raising, as it does commit us to the hand, when Villain could certainly have a bigger pair than ours.

However, in position I don't mind floating him on this flop to see how he plays the turn.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:18 AM

every time i see 9/9... i start saying "go sengio, it's your birthday, spewtember 9th... what a good day"

like i said, i'm much more apt to get stacked w/ 9's than JJ or AK (even tho i get stacked when called down w/ AK all the time)

anyways... in position, i like putting some pressure on preflop w/ 99. out of position, it's a classic helmuth play, limp/or/raise reraise fold...
make him RR you and see if his 4 bet really meant anything or if he's just full of crap.
i don't like the line of raising to 1000 like every other spewy folk says. it commits too much money to the hand and practically commits you to calling a 3bet all-in from him cuz u'll really be getting 2/1. i like a number more of like 500 to 700 straight (it's right in the 3bet+2limpers bet range). it shows him you're serious and puts him in an awkward spot cuz he's got MP2 to worry about as well. it's not squeezing if you really have a hand. and it also lets you get away 3-500 cheaper if he really has AA and reraises.

it also lets you probe or cbet the flop for 700 if he checks and lets you get 2 bets in proverbially for the price of what most people would make their PF raise.

not like nobody's ever seen runner 58 come to crack KK anyways...

i think preflop it's either AK, KQ or some med pair that just hit him hard. but if it's 55 u're way ahead and have an openend redraw if he spikes his 8

as played flatting pre, i think you have to fold this flop. aggressively played, you just have to push them in and pray.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 AM

As you said there's no clear answer, i see a lot of times people do 3bet with AJ on this flop but i also see overpairs.
But if you're not comfortable with your 99 and your big stack, fold. Looking how you played the pre-flop you only tried to catch a set or outplay weak OR,but this is dream at online tournaments.
I don't like flatcall pre against unknown players especially with hands 77-88-99. Re-raise to 450 pre-flop and fold to a shove, then you don't have to decide on flop like this against unknown player.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 PM

i don't like a positional reraise w 99 here bc ive turned it into deuce seven. if i get played w i have to fold (even though villain may have ak) ive shut myself out and i have taken myself away from floping a monster set. i flat called the flop bet. im confident that ill make a correct choice on the turn often enough and im kind of forcing him to show his hand. he may dbl barrell and i MAY fold or i may shove(very feel oriented and based on size of his bet). but he may check and give up. he may fear i flopped a set and give up. a raise is plausible here though i would shove then. an ace came on the turn and he fired again so he either had it or was representing it which means he had a bigger pair to begin with.so i folded
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 AM

sick analysis. definitely agree. unless of course he is a donktard.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 AM

wp