Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: assassin\'s Creed

Just assassinated my 4th guy, I would say it's a bit repetitive, but I think the gameplay, multiple side quest and awesome storyline make up for it as well, they say the game is part of a trilogy which makes it feel epic.

And it looks fantastic on my 62'' HDTV.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM

The Good:

Great graphics
Control is suprisingly smooth once you get used to it (about 1/2 hour I'd say)
Views are really good, can climb to almost anywhere and get great views of the cities
Lots of sidequests
Eagle sight is pretty cool
I like the way the story is told

The bad:

A little glitchy in parts
Repetitive, but really, what game isn't...
Fighting system leaves something to be desired
Lots of story in the beginning, too much
Hiding seems weird

The ugly:

Some glitches even in the cutscenes, that's unacceptable
Targets aren't varied enough

All in all I like the game, definitely worth a rental for most people. For those that liked Prince of Persia I think you'll like this game as well. I'm glad I bought it personally, but I've been jonesin really bad for a new 3rd person action game for a while. I hope they improve this a lot for the sequel.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM

did you get ps3 or 360?

impressions sound like the ps3 version has lots more performance problems.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM

I agree with Ace on most of the points:

Stuff I Like:
The "parkour" type free movement is really impressive. You can pretty much climb around on anything and your character looks very realistic while doing so.

The graphics are amazing

The fighting system is fairly basic (you pretty much just hold down the block button until you have an opening to hit the attack button). That being said, the fights LOOK awesome - so far I have been enjoying the fighting.

It's cool how when you help citizens you are rewarded with the groups of vigilantes, etc.

Some people have complained about the "plot twist" in the very beginning and how unnecessary it was but I actually think it's pretty original. Along those lines, how you reload a saved game is pretty cool... it's not just the old "start -> load" but rather implemented in a seamless and believable way. For lack of better term it's like a "reincarnation" except it's not the stupid clunky way that it was done in Bioshock.

Stuff I don't like:
Hiding from guards... you first have to break line of site and then literally hide in one of the specific hiding places scattered around the city. These are roof gardens, haystacks, and park benches. It is awkward that even though they can't see me they will continue to look for me until I jump into a pile of hay. I don't like that all of the roof gardens are exactly the same.

Gathering Intel - I've only done the first assassination but it seems you only gather intel by pickpocketing, thuggery, or eavesdropping. What I could not figure out is how Altair knows that THOSE guys, for instance, are the ones he should eavesdrop on among all the thousands of other people in the city. You climb to the top of some tower, do a little recon and suddenly a new objective appears.

It's a little hard to swallow how under every one of the towers is a conveniently placed haystack that you can swan dive into.

All in all it's not quite as good as I had hoped it would be but it's also not as bad as I had feared.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Hrm on metacritic about 7 of the 10 review blurbs have the word 'repetetive' or 'disappointing' in it, I think I'll def just give it a rental and hope the sequel is what I was hoping for.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You know that some of these glitches are intentional, right? When there's a glitch in the matrix (sorry, Animus) it means you can press a button and view the cutscene from a different angle.

Overall I'm liking this game a lot so far. Like others have said, it's very Prince-of-Persiaish, but I don't see that as a bad thing. And I'm not very far along yet so it doesn't really seem repetitive to me yet.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You know that some of these glitches are intentional, right? When there's a glitch in the matrix (sorry, Animus) it means you can press a button and view the cutscene from a different angle.

Overall I'm liking this game a lot so far. Like others have said, it's very Prince-of-Persiaish, but I don't see that as a bad thing. And I'm not very far along yet so it doesn't really seem repetitive to me yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about the glitches that are meant to be there. There was a point during one of the first cutscenes where it looked extremely blocky, which was just weird. I didn't notice it again, and it was probably just me looking for stuff. All in all I like this game though. I bought it w/ COD4 and actually like this game more.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Cool little article here regarding the low scores it was receiving:

Reviewers are doing it wrong...
Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
Cool little article here regarding the low scores it was receiving:

Reviewers are doing it wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually sounds like he really really wanted to like it. That kinda made him less credible imo.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM

The Penny Arcade guys are merciless when they think a game sucks. I tend to trust them on this.