Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Default What do I do on this turn?

I've been lurking in this forum for about 2 months, mostly reading the SSNL Digest. The posts I've read have really helped my play, but I still find myself in situations where I just don't know what to do (like the one below). Any advice on this hand would be greatly appreciated.

I've been at the table for about 3 orbits. Villain has been pretty aggressive preflop, and has always followed his PFRs w/a C-bet on the flop.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $21
UTG+1: $52.97
MP1: $50.90
MP2: $22
MP3: $16.91
CO: $30.80
Button: $24.25
SB: $20.31
Hero: $24.02

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc3333">CO raises to $1.1</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.85, MP2 folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.55, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">CO bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises to $7.5</font>, CO calls $5.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($17.55, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">CO bets $10</font>, Hero ???

P.S. How the hell do you get bisonbison's hand converter to work?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: What do I do on this turn?

bleh i'd puke and fold. Too many hands are beating you...if you had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] i'd probably call.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM

1. I think bisonbison's converter is messed up. Might be that you have to take the word "Texas" out of the HH name. The FTR converter used by others works fine, though.

2. I don't like your raise on the flop followed by lead checking the turn. You seem to be oscillating between aggressive and passive play, with no real strategy in mind on this hand. You're doing the right thing by posting it for discussion!!

3.) Given your read for villain, you might want to 3-bet this pre-flop for about $3.5 or so. You'd like to take it right there, and you can safely lead a lot of flops even if you don't improve. The key is that you take the lead in this situation, and will have to play confidently with it or risk having the other guy stomp you. Of course, being out of position with no pair against an aggressive opponent is not always that fun, so just calling is ok too. If I had position on the raiser, I would CERTAINLY 3-bet him PF.

4a. As played, I think you need to either donk the flop or c/r. You elected to c/r, and faced villain with $5:$7.5 odds to call, or about 1.5:1. If opponent was more weaktight, you could just call and "give" yourself a flush draw, meaning you represent that hand if and when it hits (knowing the weakie will fold a better hand thatn TPTK a lot of the time). Assuming the actual villain is reasonable about odds, he's gotta have something to do make this call.. either a tp type hand, or either an open ender or combo pair + draw (e.g. QsTs).

4b. I want to slow down considerably once I get called down on the flop. Think of what he might be calling with, and then look at the turn card. It doesn't look good for us.

5. The turn card isn't a good one, but it isn't terrible either. Here you really see the perils of being out of position. If you use a blocking bet, he can push even if he is semibluffing and put you in a really bad spot. If you check, he can bomb the pot and get you to lay down what might be the best hand. Your position hurts you a lot here. So what do I suggest? I guess checking folding to a larger bet is ok. You can bet out if the turn bricks, or check and call a very small bet from opponent if you think he'll do the same on the river or check thru.

6. Savvy opponents will check the turn through with a made hand, if they think you will either bet into them on the river as a result, or check/call a value bet on the river. They will know you're too weak to continue banging away at the turn, but too strong to lay it down for a small price.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM

3 bet preflop. Villain was raising KT or 77 to steal the blinds and hit the flop.

As played, fold the turn.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:33 PM

You don't have enough to do anything on the river. Push or fold depending on your read, and if you want to push, you should have done it right away.

If you're going to try to snap off his CB on the flop, you better be ready for this on the turn. You got a bad turn card as it paired the board and filled a possible flush. Personally I probably get away from this one.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM

WOW!

Damn fine analysis MisterKing. Post here more.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:39 PM

Push that turn. As played, probably get it in anyways, but I'm not happy about it.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM

I knew I was making a decision for the rest of my chips after his turn bet. I pushed like an idiot instead of folding. Villain had j [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Thanks for all of your replies.