Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Review of Ace on the River

[ QUOTE ]
It was never advertised as "traditional textbook" style. It was billed as a great supplement to that kind of material.

[/ QUOTE ]

that kind of material doesnt exist.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:59 AM

?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds pretty bad. I would have expected better from Barry, and a less glowing review from Mason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was pretty obvious that Barry was giving Mason something in return. I'm sorry, but how could a book like this (an "opinion" book - there's no guaranteed way for a book to make players into the "the best players they can possibly be") could earn a 10/10. It might be useful, but it can't be THAT useful. I can sit in a room and listen to someone give me all of this advice about avoiding tilt and whatnot, but that's not going to make me do it.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hands are hands at any level. Math is math at any level.

Moving up is about people - fixing your personal weaknesses and how well you perceive, deceive and persuade others at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good post.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:43 AM

(an "opinion" book - there's no guaranteed way for a book to make players into the "the best players they can possibly be") could earn a 10/10. It might be useful, but it can't be THAT useful. I can sit in a room and listen to someone give me all of this advice about avoiding tilt and whatnot, but that's not going to make me do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like anything in life, people can guide you, but it is you that has to make it happen. Your right, people can tell you to stay off tilt until they are blue in the face, but unless you or me listen, or can apply this advice to our game, all it does is reduce our chances of being a winning player. However, what this book appears to be doing is giving good solid advice. If people choose not to follow it, it's only a good thing for people who do.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the book would be a lot more about strategy, that was my preconception of it. Most of the information about it before was saying that it would show people how to move up to the highest levels. I was expecting more information on how hands are played differently at that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands are hands at any level. Math is math at any level.

Moving up is about people - fixing your personal weaknesses and how well you perceive, deceive and persuade others at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very astute comments, binions.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Troll. Yawn.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:45 PM

I agree 100% with Boondoggle's comments regarding Barry's book. That being said, I consider the $25 well spent for no other purpose that to determine, via all that's been said and written about the book, who is and who isn't full of ****.

Notwithstanding the "BS Filter" value, this book is useless to anyone with common sense.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 PM

I hardly know Greenstein and have only talked to him briefly a couple of times. I'm curious as to what he gave me.

MM
Old 07-08-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought it was pretty obvious that Barry was giving Mason something in return.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of us are a little slow, and such things are not obvious to us. Perhaps you could fill us in from your vast store of superior knowledge, and provide the hard information on this.

[ QUOTE ]
I can sit in a room and listen to someone give me all of this advice about avoiding tilt and whatnot, but that's not going to make me do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. And you can sit in a room and talk to a 3 year old about not throwing a tantrum, and that's not going to make him do it. Education in certain areas is impossible without a prerequisite level of experience and maturity.

Have you considered the new Hellmuth Anti-Tilt Cranial Implant (patent pending)? It's still in the beta test, but Phil reports good results. It's a small chip implanted in the newly discovered tilt lobe of the brain. When you feel yourself going on tilt, you press the button on a small remote control, and it delivers a small electrical charge that numbs the tilt lobe.