Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: rate this bluff?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't bet a 9 on this flop anywhere near 100% of the time, personally.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM

you have zero showdown value, good bluffing equity and a lot of outs if called...

bet the flop
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 AM

I'm not sure why you guys don't bet the flop with a 9. We often have the best hand, the combined number of outs against us is likely to be big and we're not likely to get check/raised by a worse hand. I agree we will not get called by worse too often, but that doesn't matter too much during these circumstances. Checking the flop is buying a ticket to get pwnd on later streets, whether or not we have the best on flop imo.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why you guys don't bet the flop with a 9. We often have the best hand, the combined number of outs against us is likely to be big and we're not likely to get check/raised by a worse hand. I agree we will not get called by worse too often, but that doesn't matter too much during these circumstances. Checking the flop is buying a ticket to get pwnd on later streets, whether or not we have the best on flop imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

And so, if we assume that most people would bet a 9 on the flop, repping one on the turn is bad - right? And there are like no other hands that would check this flop and raise this turn... yeah I just dont buy it.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 AM

as played, i really don't like the turn raise, because sb is actually gonna have a really strong hand here sometimes, and you're just robbing yourself when that's the case. i think you get looked up light on the river a lot too.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This flop generally connects in various ways with a lot of hands that call preflop raises. If we get a straggler a lot of turns make it difficult to play a second or third pair, even in position, because the pot will be getting big but we still won't want to give free cards, even in position. At some point pot control will become an issue and we'll need to slow down, and there's a case for doing that while the pot is still small. Checking the flop lets us see what comes on the turn, and also how the two players before us respond to that.

Now don't get me wrong, I bet a 9 here more often than not, but for me personally, I check behind with second pair enough that if I take Hero's line a 9 will definitely be plausible.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we get a straggler a lot of turns make it difficult to play a second or third pair, even in position, because the pot will be getting big but we still won't want to give free cards, even in position. At some point pot control will become an issue and we'll need to slow down, and there's a case for doing that while the pot is still small. Checking the flop lets us see what comes on the turn, and also how the two players before us respond to that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer bet flop/check turn to check flop/bet turn because:

1. Often we'll just take it down, sure those times we were ahead, but villain's combined number of outs were probably pretty high.
2. We're giving away our c-bet and we can't take any heat on the turn if we check the flop. So when we were ahead on the flop we'll still lose the pot on the turn often, either by getting outdrawn or by getting bluffed.
3. If the turn is J or higher we can't bet the turn even if we check the flop, so on 16 turn cards we'll be giving two players 2 freecards, instead of just betting the flop and taking it down (which I think we'll do quite often).
4. Giving a freecard on the turn isn't as bad as on the flop, because on the turn we're most often only giving one player a freecard.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 AM

Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 AM

What are you putting Villain on?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 AM

Nick, I don't agree with all your assumptions, but can I just emphasise that there are obviously certain advantages to c-betting the flop here. In fact, it's a pretty good time to do it. I was just saying that there are reasons why you might not, and I certainly don't do it every time in this spot.