Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Libraries: a cave where genius abides

I was in the library almost every Saturday morning as a kid, and came out with a stack of about 12 books every time. Ran the gamut of stuff too.

Once I tried to check out a book that my librarian thought might not be appropriate for a kid my age (dont remember what it was TBH). My mom told the librarian that I was allowed to check out whatever book I wanted, no questions asked. Pretty cool stuff.

I am pretty immersed in the "Internet Age", but I still just cannot read a book on a computer. It just doesnt feel right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty immersed in the "Internet Age", but I still just cannot read a book on a computer. It just doesnt feel right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. It's tiring and restrictive and hard on the eyes. I suspect those saying they prefer screen-reading have never really gotten comfortable with a good book.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 AM

The internet is a great way to find very informative articles and watch documentaries that I could never get my hands on in real life. But the vapid glow of my computer screen will never replace the feeling of holding a book, that has been aged with time, in your hands.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The internet is a great way to find very informative articles and watch documentaries that I could never get my hands on in real life. But the vapid glow of my computer screen will never replace the feeling of holding a book, that has been aged with time, in your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

to each his own obv. as long as i can read it, i don't care whether it's bound, hand written, or on a computer screen.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 AM

i have found researching from books to be exponentially slower and less productive than the internet. with a book i need to read through pages of totally irrelevent data to find what i want, i need to find individually quotes that i cannot just search for, etc. maybe i am just spoiled by growing up with the internet, and if you are trying to acquire a general knowledge about something books are superior; for example physics books are a lot easier to learn from than random internet articles. my point is really that to get details you are curious about, or to learn a lot of basic details about a subject books are far below the internet at a resource. i honestly wouldn't know a lot of the information i know if i had to go to a library every time i was curious about something
Old 11-12-2007, 03:30 AM

I tend to take my research much more seriously in a library than I do when on my laptop. Also there is just something about the library... it just feels right.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have found researching from books to be exponentially slower and less productive than the internet. with a book i need to read through pages of totally irrelevent data to find what i want, i need to find individually quotes that i cannot just search for, etc. maybe i am just spoiled by growing up with the internet, and if you are trying to acquire a general knowledge about something books are superior; for example physics books are a lot easier to learn from than random internet articles. my point is really that to get details you are curious about, or to learn a lot of basic details about a subject books are far below the internet at a resource. i honestly wouldn't know a lot of the information i know if i had to go to a library every time i was curious about something

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately throughout high school I did most of my homework assignments by browsing random articles I pulled off google. This allowed me to procrastinate much more and do the assignments without actually learning any of the relevant material. Looking back, I wish I had taken the time to research some of the topics and actually understand what I am learning about.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Humanity is summed up in the content of the written word which can be found in a public library near you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, mostly the part of humanity that had access to good schools or tutors, literacy, writing instruments, the dominant language, and editors and publishers with printing presses. While I share your affinity for libraries, I think its dangerous to equate the ideas published in a library with "humanity," as so little of humanity contributed to the work contained therein.