Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:06 PM

Default 6$ - AJos - Flopped AKQ

Was my fold cowardly or the correct move. No read on the opponent...

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t60 (7 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP2 (t2045)
CO (t2200)
Button (t3345)
SB (t1145)
BB (t1660)
UTG (t3390)
Hero (t1215)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t190</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t190, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t470) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t350</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1520</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2340
Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: 6$ - AJos - Flopped AKQ

With no reads i grit my teeth and call. Pot odds are too good at this point. If you cbet here, you can't fold to the push.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Idd with that cbet you have kinda commited yourself, but it was the right play imo. I do think he turns over broadway or two pair more than not tho.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Idd with that cbet you have kinda commited yourself, but it was the right play imo. I do think he turns over broadway or two pair more than not tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
As played I make it 120 pf
Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 PM

min raise is bad, I am limping here preflop and raising 2.5x or 3x from BTN/SB.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
As played I make it 120 pf

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Can people please get into the habit of explaining why they suggest certain actions, because what seems obvious to you might be totally mystifying to others. You have to not be afraid to be wrong. Which I will now likely demonstrate [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think minraising here is horrible. It simply increases variance, because just about no one who was limping is going to fold for one more bet. All you achieve is to make the pot bigger with a hand that you are more likely than not going to hate if anyone calls!

Flop it jack high and you're probably happy enough. But what if you flop an ace, bet and are called by the button. Are you winning against a raggy ace or losing against a bigger one? Did the other guy flop two pair? Now you've got a fair few chips in and don't know where you're at. So maybe you check the turn. Do you call his bet? How much will you call? Because you made the pot bigger preflop, the bet on the turn is bigger, and now you are likely putting all your chips in with a pair of aces with third kicker. Or sometimes folding the best hand, taking a chunk out of your stack for nothing.

And two-thirds of the time, you flop nothing at all, and you made it cheap enough for button and both blinds to come along. I think the times you stack yourself against a better hand, fold a worse hand or just miss and checkfold against a crowd, all added up, will equal more chips than all the times someone gets it in with you with a raggy ace. They do get it in bad sometimes, just not enough in my view.

As played, that's one horrible flop. I think you can check because it's just as scary for him as it is for you. You have almost certainly hit it (from his point of view) and checking looks a lot like the fancy [censored] players at this level adore. I think he will mostly only bet hands that beat you. A small bet, I'd probably call and re-eval turn. A big one, I fold fast.

And once you cbet, you're committed here. You turned your hand into 72o if you fold, and given how retarded some players are, his range includes too many hands you actually still beat (the next guy I see push a raggy ace on an all-broadway ace-high flop will not be the first by any means) for you to do that.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why?

Can people please get into the habit of explaining why they suggest certain actions, because what seems obvious to you might be totally mystifying to others. You have to not be afraid to be wrong. Which I will now likely demonstrate [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

THANKYOU, I said the same thing in my 1k post, where so many people say 'push' 'fold' or just quote someone elses post ... if you have something insightful to add, then add it ... otherwise juts be happy that you get to soak up everyone elses wisdom:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&amp;PHPSESSID=