Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 AM

Default $2+0.25...ITM, high blinds, turn bluff check-called, but hit top pair

So I'm in the money, and all three of us have relatively close chip stacks. My opponent in this hand has been quite LAG, especially at high blind levels. Only a few hands earlier, I picked off 2/3 pot river bluff with 3rd best pair.

He does lots of min raising preflop, so that min raise could be anything. I decide to check behind on the flop, I have two overs, let's see if I hit and what he does on the turn. Now that he checks on the turn, I figure it's worth a stab and bet pretty strong, given the draws out there. First question: you ok with how I've played the hand to this point? Should I have re-raised preflop? Taken a stab on the flop? Checked behind again on the turn?

So he calls that...now I'm a bit suspicious, but I hit top pair on the river. I'm hoping we'll check it down, but he bets out a bet for essentially all of my chips. I have a bad feeling...did me turn a straight? Was he slow playing something? Next question: with all those chips in the pot, I have to call don't I? And I'm in the money at least, so I know I'm walking away with something. Given that this guy had played very LAG and that I had seen him bluff before, think I should call? Or are you confident enough that he has top pair beat and you fold to fight on? When I picked off his bluff before, I had a great feeling I was ahead and insta called. Here, my spidey senses were definitely tingling.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB (t4725)
Hero (t3960)
Button (t4815)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t800) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t800) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t700</font>, SB calls t700.

River: (t2200) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t1800</font>
Old 11-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: $2+0.25...ITM, high blinds, turn bluff check-called, but hit top pair

Well you certainly don't have to call. You have enough chips left to fold if you think you are beat.

He could have anything here I'm afraid. As a LAG he could have minimum raised with ATC so may well have J4 for example. However, he may also have nothing. To be honest I am calling this but I'm not confident.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: $2+0.25...ITM, high blinds, turn bluff check-called, but hit top p

I call this too.
I hate turn, especially with this size.
Pretty easy cb, since you're hand still has some value and by betting you turn it into a pure bluff.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:50 AM

What do you mean you hate turn? You mean my bet? If so, could you offer some concrete advice on what I should have done? Think I should have just checked? Or do you try to pick it up with a smaller bet? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Yeah, sure.
You can either check(which is obv best against a lag here who will float this a lot) or bet like 400-500.
700 is way too much.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Sorry, I don't know a lot of the lingo...what do you mean by float? And from reading Moshman's SnG book, I get the sense he'd say take a stab with a hand that still can become best if you've seen your opponent check both flop and turn on a dangerous board. That's the beauty of poker, I think people could reasonably argue for both a check and a bet here. I agree that 700 was too much though.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:03 PM

If it is advice your looking for then against a LAG who regularly minimum raises I will be raising pre flop to 1200 in this situation. KJs is a good hand 3 handed against such a player. If he re-raises call.

As I said tho, as played I call the river.