Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Uhh, my QQ looks a lot like 44

I donno where it comes from, but it sure is an awesome phrase.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the small bet on the flop though?

So you raise 2306, he raises to 4612? Is that right? So the pot is about 10800? Let me know if my math is off. He makes a 1/3 pot bet into you with that flop and you've got QQ...and you fold? Dude, that is some seriously tight poker. I think you're over-thinking it. You're getting 4 to 1 odds to make the call. Guy made the same play on me the other day with the miniraise and flipped QTo.

I don't think he would slowplay aces with that flop. So why such a small bet? I would call and then if he increases the bet on the turn then you could fold if you want. But I bet he would check his AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once was chatting with JJProdigy. I complained that I had been tight, and had ONLY played like 16% of hands. His response was (Loosely paraphrased) "You've played that many? You think that's alot?"

Then I went back and looked at some rebuys I've won. Damn, I was tighter than a virgin. Wanna know what my new years poker resolution is?

By the way. If you look at the PS YEARLY leaderboard for MTT's, there's this donk named Ian J at 58th. I think he's from Seattle.

The more people that gus hanson it, the better.

Nick

p.s. My apologies to JJP if I misquoted, but I'm pretty sure it was him, and pretty sure that's close to what he said.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words chief.

Here is some of my thought process. Preflop, his range is something like 55+ and maybe AK, obviously heavily weighted towards AA/KK. Remember, I'm UTG here. And yes by minreraise I meant minreraise, so it was 1506 more for me to call into a pot that had over 7700 in it and the guy still had 11k left. Anyone saying fold preflop is just being nutty I think.

On the flop, I didn't really like the texture w/ the T and the 9 out there. There are many flops where I'm probably going to get it all in. Hell, if he just jams the flop I probably end up calling and then hating it. That 3200 bet looks like he's scared of nothing though.

Don't get me wrong, this is certainly not a clear cut decision and I'm still unsure about it. It is an interesting and common spot though, and I don't think we should all relegate ourselves to getting our chips in here just because we have QQ and we'll still have 25k if we lose. Gotta play some poker sometimes.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Ian J is probably on that leaderboard b/c he comes to this forum asks questions and learns from them. Calling with QQ here is far from "Gus Hansoning it".

With the miniraise of 1500, the pot is 9200 going to the flop, so his flop bet is 1/3 the pot. It's either a continuation bet, in which case by calling you are likely going to see the river for free...or he has you beat and is making it look like a continuation bet. If he bets again on 4th street...probably sweetening it up a bit...maybe 5,000...you can fold. But if he has AK or JJ, a free card is really what he wants, so you can probably just check it down from here. 4-1 odds on that play...folding is too tight.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ian J is probably on that leaderboard b/c he comes to this forum asks questions and learns from them. Calling with QQ here is far from "Gus Hansoning it".

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. He's on the leaderboard because he's got some serious game. I love seeing the responses that say "DOOD, you have QQ, get em all in there and profit bitch!" (Edit: Not saying that you are one of those people supercomputer...)

The problem with this flop, is 5 of the 7 likely hands held here are now WAY ahead. AA/KK/TT/99, all light years ahead. AK and JJ are behind. I think even if its 357, its still a fold that has to be considered. But I atleast like it better. Its alot like how good of shape you are with AK in a pot that just got big when the board is AJTx or AT98, where you have to consider that someone ghetto'd you.

I still like the fold. And with that many chips and the rebuy format, you are much better conserving chips.

Now, if you aren't a top player, then maybe QQ is worth the gamble, because you either dont have an edge, or its not very much of one. That's worth consideration as well.

Nick
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 PM

If you are going to put TT,99 (6 ways) into villain's miniraising range, then you might as well put AQ aswell (8 ways). I'm liking the PF reraise more against this range.

Given the overlay, QQ is very EV++ against any reasonable range for villain, unless you can produce some evidence that villain only miniraises AA, or is unlikely to c-bet with AK/JJ in the situation described.

Let's start with the ranges. If the poster wishes to adjust the ranges based on history, image, etc, that's one thing, but to say that top players would fold this based on the evidence provided is presumptuous and unsubstantiated.