Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Euro (mostly British) Phrases that are catching on in the U.S.?

[ QUOTE ]
wow, she deserves a hearty pat on the back for ridiculing those stupid Americans.

but srsly I was under the impression that cockney and people saying "guv" would be contained the to east end of London and other similarly dodgy parts. so i'm not sure your girlfriend and her gaggle of friends from Surrey are exactly supreme arbiters of this particular subset of slang.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ridicule is the wrong word. She says that every time she tells an American she's from Britain, the first thing they say is guv'nor, and it's annoying. I suppose it would be as if an American went to Britain, and 80% of the people you met made some apple pie reference.

Anyway, even if the term guv is used regularly in some circles, I sincerely doubt guvnor is. It seems too outdated - unless it's ironic.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Euro (mostly British) Phrases that are catching on in the U.S.?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, even if the term guv is used regularly in some circles, I sincerely doubt guvnor is. It seems too outdated - unless it's ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do agree, the entire "guv'nah" sounds kind of dated unless you're using it ironically. but for whatever reason I like "guv." [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]