Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Correct to 3-bet flop here?

BB is 26/16/2.6 - 600 hands
BTN is 27/12/2.3 - 80 hands

I 3-bet on the flop to obviously knock out BB who can't really have A3, never saw him show down any weak ace especially oop. BTN was actually playing like a maniac/tilt even though stats don't do that justice. He could have A3 or A7 i guess. Normally I would have called his raise on the flop and then c/f turn, just doing things a bit different. I think as played is more correct than that no? Maybe the 3-bet wasn't the best choice but BB is real easy to read and he is folding anything but a gigantic draw or the nuts.

Full Tilt Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Correct to 3-bet flop here?

If you think Btn raises with 100% of his range 3 bet is ok, because you have often the best hand, so it's good when BB folds a 6 outer and you have 10 outs if you are behind.

But it is quite rare, so most of the time 3 betting the flop is wrong, especially if you don't bet the turn. If BB has a pair or a 3, he doesn't fold and if has not he's probably not dangerous if you hit a K or a A on the turn.

Moreover if BB calls you have better odds to call the flop if you are behind. Another problem with 3 betting the flop is you can induce a bluf on the river if you call the flop and the turn UI. So if you are ahead you win maybe a bet on the flop by raising but you loose quite often a bet on the river.

Anyway don't fold the turn you have many outs and he can have just a flush draw.

As played I b/c the river.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:12 PM

I think given your read this was the best way to play it.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM

If you are gonna 3 bet the flop and not bet the turn, wheres the value in betting the river? If he has a flush draw or 2 overs to the board hes not calling, if he has an A hes gonna bet when checked to, and you gain a bet when he fires a missed draw.

Would a line of 3 betting the flop, betting the turn, and checking the river the worst? He's gonna bet an A on river, a missed flush draw, some random hand, and hes not gonna check an A?