Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Who claims Party beginner tables are loose?

imho, beginners need to see that poker is only tangentially about the cards; table presence and opponent reads are more fundamental to the game. of course, this statement is discretionary: equity--which i think supercedes pot odds (not least because of its difficulty, both to determine and to appropriately use)--and board reading skills are also fundamental, but mostly as avenues to our opponent reads. people will say to you, and i have said it myself, here, on this forum, that table selection is all important. this is painted with too broad a brush. you need to get away from tables where your perception of your opponents, or their perception of you, is clouded by the variance of the deal, the flop, or the river, which is to say, by a results driven mind-set--and that is not the same thing as saying, play only certain kinds of tables.

you cannot establish a presence or read your opponents without concentrating on the play, both in and out of a hand.

consider that statement repeated.

and once you have that presence, can read your opponents, and evaluate the board, you don't even need cards. AND IT DOESNT MATTER HOW TIGHT OR LOOSE THEY ARE, MONEY CAN BE EXTRACTED FROM THEM AT SATISFACTORY RATES. i love tight players: they behave predictably, orderly, and honestly--all traits a UPS driver needs to acquire and keep his job. not many deer survive the season who walk up to the muzzle of your gun and peer in; and, alas, not many poker players do, either, when they look down the barrel of your complete categorization of their play. it is true that i do not win as many large pots against tight players, but i win MORE pots playing them, and with far less variance. tight players are rapidly becoming the venison du jour. i am always looking for that hand which will cripple the emotional equilibrium of my opponent; and believe it, tight players, well, they're often wound up VERY tight. tight players seem to think the game owes them something because they are tight. just like a moral man believes his morality elevates him above the caprice of nature. sorry, things are not that simple. so, please, be my guest, be tight, by all means, do. i mean it, be tight, and i will eat you for dinner.

tight is just a stage on the way.

i have read, and it corresponds to my experience, that if you need cards to win at poker, you will NOT WIN AT POKER. poker, to make an umpteenth definition of it, is what lies at the heart of every game: my mindset against yours.

(ps. whoever put that "i think im" has just got it all wrong. i know im smarter than ed miller .|.)
Old 03-19-2006, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Who claims Party beginner tables are loose?

[
Hmmm, my perception is also that Party isn't as tight, preflop at least, as the low-limit stereotype. And if multitabling encourages tightness, Party recently upgraded their software to allow resizing, reducing overlaps which always deterred me (and probably others) without megapixel monitors from multitabling. So I suspect multitabling has been increasing.