Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: BLUFFING part 1

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who's saying would you raise the river with AK/KQ Its sort of relevant but if your range for getting here is AK/KQ/No pair you shouldn't bluff that much vs a good hand reader.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think that that is anyones range in this spot when turn checks through.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 PM

well yeah everyone is sort of getting what i was hinting at earlier. basically, had hero flopped a set or an overpair and had posted the hand, i feel like everyone would have said in unison to bet the turn (which i would have also said, btw). so if villain can hand read, your line doesn't look exactly reputable for a whole lot.

obviously, you can rep AK / KQ, but I feel like even then a lot of people would just call the river because we wouldn't expect there to be a lot of value in a raise. This board is just so dry, and a really large part of villain's range on the flop is draws, all of which missed on the turn/river.

i don't hate the raise, but i told AMT on IM that i feel like this "bluff" worked but also that AQ was the best hand bc villain isn't exactly repping anything too strong himself.

anyway, just always be sure to ask yourself 2 questions when you're about to bluff: 1) what am i representing? 2) what better hands am i expecting villain to have and fold?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Wiggs,
I think versus a good villain this bluff is awfula nd you are always getting called but I think bad villains will fold 22-88 9x and 7x enough of the time. Also A high is the best hand fairly often here.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 AM

I think all posts in STT that discuss hand reading should be nominated for POY. That said, wish I could comment more, but at the stakes I play at, I don't think I've seen many villains fold to a less than shove reraise after they've donked the river. The dynamic is obviously changed if this were a cash hand vs STT, but here, the only hand I can see you representing is AK /KQ, KJs?, as I think villain would assume you'd protect your hand on the turn against the obvious draws, or try to build the pot with a set... so I think that if I were small blind, I'd probably be calling with any piece of this board. I think someone is gonna have to do some maths looking at calling on river vs villains range and villains likelihood of calling or shoving your river reraise. Past my bedtime, but I may look at this later as I don't bluff all too often (or float and check behind on the next street).
Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Mike, I don't think the bluff is horrible, but I'm not really liking it too much. One thing to think about is that you are actually getting 3 to 1 to flat call the river (and you could very well have the best hand), but by re-raising you are putting 600 into a 600 pot.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wiggs,
I think versus a good villain this bluff is awfula nd you are always getting called but I think bad villains will fold 22-88 9x and 7x enough of the time. Also A high is the best hand fairly often here.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. You range by the river is so wide that you don't need to be bluffing that often to make 22 a snap call. Also draws missed and people won't vbet 9x here I think you are good unless he has a boat or Kxhh
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you never bluffed in a STT, you could be doing just fine

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
I don't think there's a need for these bluffs. Most of the players that responded already are much better than I am post flop and could make some of these moves; however, I don't get into them and I do fairly well.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you never bluffed in a STT, you could be doing just fine

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
I don't think there's a need for these bluffs. Most of the players that responded already are much better than I am post flop and could make some of these moves; however, I don't get into them and I do fairly well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could most definitley be doing well without ever bluffing in STTs, doesn't mean it is or isn't the best you could be doing though. IMO at lower stakes and especially against unknowns it wouldn't be nearly as good since your reads are weaker and it won't affect future hands like it might against a thinking regular.

If there is reasoning behind the bluff and it isn't just because you feel like trying to pick up a pot readless then I guess it could be useful at some times, but overall it isn't nearly as important as in other forms of poker (cash) and you could easily get by without it.